The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Legalisation won't resolve the debate > Comments

Legalisation won't resolve the debate : Comments

By Mark Christensen, published 26/4/2013

Gay marriage may be legislated but that won't be enough to legitimise it

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Oh dear, Constance. Have I said something to upset you?

>>Gobbledygook. Your admiration of Pericles says much. He is intellectually bankrupt and utterly pretentious. And doesn’t seem to believe in anything I think because he’s caught up in his own ego.<<

Ah yes, I remember, it was when I pointed out that the people of Northern Ireland actually vote, regularly, to remain part of the United Kingdom.

So annoying, isn't it, this democracy thing, when it doesn't fit with your own prejudices. Still, it is quite consistent with your overall rejection of uncomfortable facts, in favour of third-hand fable and counterfeit emotion.

Have a nice day, y'hear.
Posted by Pericles, Saturday, 4 May 2013 4:53:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Constance,

You wrote:

"Your admiration of Pericles says much ... "
But while (as I wrote) "I bow to Pericles's erudition on the phrase you attributed to Hitler", that is simply my recognition of his competence and authority on the matter in question. It is not a blank cheque of admiration.

Whereas, something I definitely do admire is your pyrotechnical style of thought.

Your posts transport me in mind to the Chinese New Year. Ideas and images are popping and spluttering in all directions, bumping into each other, exploding and showering up, overflowing in a splendid display of colourful fireworks.

Which is why I am surprised you should write: " ... there is censorship on anyone speaking their mind. We cannot say anything as it really is."

I could never have imagined you were suffering in silence, Constance. I hasten to reassure you. Please feel free to speak your mind with me and, for goodness sake, do not bite your tongue. I shall never denounce nor betray you. Cross my heart and hope to die.

I totally agree with you that " totalitarianism/communism" are to be avoided at all costs. Anything would be better than that. I could even take a fair dose of Marxism, or why not capitalism for that matter - in fact, I do, every day.

Thank you for clarifying your thoughts on dystopia and reality. I have no problem with that, though I can't say I share your global pessimism.

You are quite right in thinking that " Aussies are egalitarian ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_inequality-adjusted_HDI

However, I hesitate to agree that it is " ... egalitarian to the core" as you suggest, in view of the following:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5967792/Housework-makes-British-men-more-attractive.html

Nevertheless, if, despite the poor performance of Aussie men in the household, that's OK with you, Constance, it's OK with me too.

I think you'll find I'm a fairly easy-going person when you get to know me.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 5 May 2013 2:14:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles,

But you never did respond to that post, did you? Were you lost for words for once.

Terror induced democracy. Prejudices, you say?

Facts, which you can’t seem to face.

I have not observed you on that sole posting of yours. I have no obsession with that part of the world, but just felt at the time I read it, it deserved a rebuke. Then there was Individual’s idiotic response which followed yours that further caused my exacerbation.

Elitists always love to use prejudice in their ripostes to stifle arguments which is always so incredulous and predictable. Dodgy as.
Posted by Constance, Sunday, 5 May 2013 8:05:11 PM
Dear Banjo,

I have noticed that you appear laid back. I’m sure you are nice chap. But then you just seem to get off topic and divert into netherland in your posts.

I’m actually a laid back person too just not complacent. I usually have something always brimming underneath. I guess I’m the edgy type. Don't you like fireworks?

Home domestics issues are pretty small in the scheme of things. I won’t go into it but males and females do have different genetic makeups after all, and we can't change that. I haven’t seen any woman in a tool shed, have you? Men seem to be demonized today enough as it is. Yes, there are many Aussie men blind to housework like men in general tend to have that blue/green colour blindness. Big deal. But we don’t want that nasty class structure that the English have, do we?

Check out Jack Donovan’s take on mattters of men:
http://www.jack-donovan.com/axis/books/the-way-of-men/

Nick Caver on the elites
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/opinion/think-what-you-like-but-keep-it-to-yourself/story-e6frgd0x-1226590257097

Gregory Melleuish on the intellectual conformists and lack of diversity
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sundayextra/intellectuals/4669742

You don’t seem to understand, I think you are unwittingly complying with the whole totalitarian nanny state we’re becoming as you are probably an elitist yourself. Now don’t get too laid back now, will you?

You should also check out Celia Green.
Posted by Constance, Sunday, 5 May 2013 8:12:56 PM

Dear Constance,

You wrote:

"You don’t seem to understand, I think you are unwittingly complying with the whole totalitarian nanny state we’re becoming as you are probably an elitist yourself ".

I don't think any so-called elite would want me, Constance. If they did I'm pretty sure they would regret it.

I climbed up the ladder the hard way. I grew-up in the Queensland outback. My lifelong dream was to become a drover. Unfortunately, I never made it and ended up hitch-hiking into Paris. No job. No money. No family. No friends. No French.

I gate-crashed into this place and somehow managed to survive on my primary school education. You may be right in thinking the "Parisiennes" are arrogant and bourgeois. I was too occupied trying to survive to notice. That was nearly a half a century ago. Since then I guess I've become one of them ( a Parisien, of course) - arrogant and bourgeois.

You are also right in thinking I am totally unaware of "complying with the whole totalitarian nanny state we’re becoming". I always thought I was doing it all on my own, without any help from anybody. I even thought that all that back stabbing from my work colleagues was done on purpose to eliminate me. It put the skids under me a couple of times, that's for sure.

All I know is it's been a long hard struggle. Either I went up or I was out on my neck. There was no other choice. I never went up. I was always out on my neck. And the competition got tougher as the years went by. The only way I ever went up was by negotiating my next job with twice the pay and twice the responsibility.

I had no idea that I was being protected all these years by a "totalitarian nanny state".

Please forgive me for not understanding, Constance. Now that the battles are over and the dust has settled, I'll take a look in the mirror. Perhaps I have become an elitist, as you suggest, without realising it.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Monday, 6 May 2013 7:15:17 AM
Petty, Constance.

>>Pericles, But you never did respond to that post, did you? Were you lost for words for once.<<

As I recall, your question was...

>>You’re an English migrant, aren’t you?<<

Which, being rhetorical, I didn't bother to answer. But it is of course true, and also the reason I know a great deal more about the country than you do.

But you might need to expand a little on this mini-tanty:

>>Terror induced democracy. Prejudices, you say? Facts, which you can’t seem to face.<<

Hmmm. That raises images of the people of Northern Ireland being forced to vote themselves into Westminster at gunpoint. How else can "terror induced democracy" be interpreted? As for those prejudices, what else can they be, when exhibited by someone with so little knowledge and understanding of the situation?

>> I have no obsession with that part of the world, but just felt at the time I read it, it deserved a rebuke.<<

Not only have you no obsession with that part of the world, you know absolutely nothing about it, apart from some anti-establishment rhetoric that you happened to come across on the internet.

>>Elitists always love to use prejudice in their ripostes to stifle arguments which is always so incredulous and predictable. Dodgy as.<<

While others claim their prejudices to be fact in order to bolster a flagging argument, without providing anything more than unprocessed emotion in support of them.

Have a wonderful, freedom-fighting day.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 6 May 2013 10:30:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy