The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The meaning of life? > Comments

The meaning of life? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 10/4/2013

What would happen if prayer was said before lectures in business and commerce?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
That is definitely something you should ponder, Mr Sellick.

>>I envy other blogs that attract reasonable and informed comments. What is it with mine that I attract the usual knee jerk interlocutors who have obviously not read my stuff?<<

I would humbly suggest that your thoughts on religion are far too esoteric for the punters here.

(Having said that, I find it very difficult to imagine what kind of audience would, in fact, react in a constructive manner to your thought processes. Whatever.)

But you should face the fact that you are trying to communicate with the general public, and - by your own admission - failing badly. You present unconventional semi-religious concepts, expecting the listeners to have read theology as widely - if not more widely - than yourself. And when the reaction is predominantly a sequence of observations on the wackiness of your ideas, you go into a sulk.

This is, after all, not the first time you have had a hissy fit with us, is it.

Your nineteenth-century atheists, for example, were basically philosophers addressing what was then the status quo of religious belief. The level of belief, incidentally, that you abhor - mindless churchgoing, meaningless rituals, inactive disengagement. To introduce these philosophers as your intellectual adversaries is nothing more than vanity on your part. You undoubtedly cut your theological teeth on them during your vocational training, and simply want to show off your rebuttals all over again.

A suggestion. Try addressing the actual audience that you have on this forum, rather than the one you would like to have. It might mean that you have to come to terms with the fact that not everyone has had the benefit of your in-depth theological education. But in doing so you might actually learn something that explains the apparent "knee-jerk" reactions of which you complain.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 15 April 2013 11:06:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

At midnight in the museum hall
The fossils gathered for a ball
There were no drums or saxophones,
But just the clatter of their bones,
A rolling, rattling, carefree circus
Of mammoth polkas and mazurkas.
Pterodactyls and brontosauruses
Sang ghostly prehistoric choruses.
Amid the mastodontic wassail
I caught the eye of one small fossil.
"Cheer up, sad world," he said, and winked—
"It's kind of fun to be extinct."

("The Fossils", Ogden Nash)

And for those, less stressed, with a little more time and patience and a natural disposition for peaceful meditation on ... "The Carnival of the Animals?... or, should I say ... the meaning of life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXP1_tX44w

Or the "untainted" version, according to Camille Saint-Saëns ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGEf4urGNo

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 16 April 2013 7:35:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When it comes to religion every one think of his mind about the white clothes and some philosophical phrases etc etc but the fact is religion is not that bore at all. Supernatural is the word that relates to God and that is the only thing that is true. If it does not the why you finger cross when you think that you deserve more then other as you have done a lot.
Posted by shaggyz, Wednesday, 1 May 2013 4:48:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy