The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Standardising disability > Comments

Standardising disability : Comments

By Peter Gibilisco, published 5/4/2013

Having a disability does not necessarily mean that you are mentally impaired.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
...The accounts of Peter Gibilisco are enlightening to say the least; but in my “book” are unbelievable tales of longsuffering told in a unique fashion which could only be relayed through first-hand experience.

...The lessons before us now are ones of childhood horror stories from Institutionalised child abuse. Although Peter Gibiliscos’ account in this article sets out clearly the intention to relay the message that his complaint severely limits his ability to communicate the needs and discomfort associated with his condition; and the too-often times when the need to urgently address them goes “begging”. What the lucky majority of “us” all too often fail to acknowledge, is the “other” reality of severe disability.

...I would only hope (as Peter Gibilisco obviously does as well), that those in authority in Institutions would urgently address problems associated with severe disability and its personal effects on the individual who lack the ability of “immediate communication” the rest of us take for granted.

...As an example, at a confessed “one word a minute” typing speed which the author admitted to, I calculated his current article would take 11.5 hours to compose. This man is more deserving of a medal than any other! His articles are among the more "intriguing" in a very sobering way on OLO.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 5 April 2013 9:33:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, this is a very honest, raw account of someone with an intelligent mind trapped in an uncompliant body.

I wish there were more effective methods of communication available for people like the author of this article. Surely in this age of technology, someone could invent a communication method for this problem?

As for the disability care staff, there will never likely be a stable workforce to meet the needs of the severely disabled in our society while these people are paid so poorly.

They work with the most vulnerable people in our society, and yet are paid less than road workers.
They have very physically and mentally challenging workplaces, and deserve much more than they get.

I applaud the author who, with a continually worsening condition, manages to communicate the problems of the severely disabled person with such clarity.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 7 April 2013 2:36:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whilst I can fully sympathize with the author, and commend him for telling it like it is, dare I suggest that he is one of the lucky ones in that he is able to articulate his torture. Those who are deemed as lacking mental capacity, by Administrative Tribunals - sometimes when they still have capacity - are stripped of any right to tell it like it is. They are left to suffer miserable and torturous twilight years because the idiotic law demands that all such decisions (right or wrong) much be kept strictly confidential. It has been aptly described as 'state sanctioned elder abuse'.
Posted by SHORT&SHARP, Monday, 8 April 2013 1:30:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy