The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The myth of gender interchangeability > Comments

The myth of gender interchangeability : Comments

By Babette Francis, published 5/4/2013

To make the weight-lifting requirement for combat assignments gender neutral, how many pounds will be taken off the test?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Compare and contrast

http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/feminists-urge-women-to-demand-better-from-work-and-home-life/story-e6frfm9r-1226613514759

"Sex Discrimination Commissioner Elizabeth Broderick warned women not to rely on male partners for money.

''A man is not a financial plan,'' she told News Limited.

''Women need their own economic security.

''We can't have women saying, 'Now I have a child I'm leaving the labor market''."

and

"''The Federal Government's director of Workplace Gender Equality, Helen Conway, said some women were ''lackadaisical'' about feminism.

''The battle is far from won and they need to maintain the rage,'' she said.

''Men are still paid more and a lower percentage of women are in leadership positions.

''Women can't just throw their hands up and say it's all too hard.''"

with

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/todays-woman-survey-finds-australian-women-want-friends-family-and-financial-security/story-fncynjr2-1226613522190

"What women want most is the ''three Fs'' - family, friends and financial security.

Today's Woman survey of 6253 Australian women by NewsLifeMedia and parenting website kidspot.com.au reveals they are trading in their careers for the role of wife, mother and friend."

Perhaps it's time for the two very well-paid bureaucrats and advocates in the first story to start looking for new jobs. They seem to be offering services that nobody needs or wants.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 6 April 2013 8:36:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O sung,
The effectiveness of women in combat is contingent upon everything going right and all the gear working all the time, as a veteran what would you say are the chances of every operation running like clockwork?
What if all the men in the squad are hit at once and only the women are left? This is a video of what happened to elite troops, the U.S 101st on a "routine" mission in Afghnaistan with all the best gear available today, (warning it's pretty nasty), do we really want our daughters involved in this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTb_zoA4pNA
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Saturday, 6 April 2013 8:59:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jay, I wouldn't want my daughters OR my sons involved in that, or any war.
Mothers are the least likely advocates of war in most cases.

I admit to being a bit old fashioned on this issue.

It's old men in parliament with 'shoot 'em up if they don't agree with us' issues that decide to create wars in the first place.
I say we let the men go to these wars if we have to have them, to fight wars that men created...
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 6 April 2013 11:38:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah1zEK68HFE

They disembarked in '45
And no one spoke and no one smiled
There were too many spaces in the line

Gathered at the cenotaph
All agreed with hands on heart
To sheath the sacrificial knives

(but now)
She stands upon Southampton dock
With her handkerchief and her summer frock
Clings to her wet body in the rain

In quiet desperation, knuckles white upon the slippery reins
She bravely waves the boys good bye again

Still the dark stain spreads between
Their shoulder blades
A mute reminder of the poppy fields and graves
When the fight was over
We spent what they had made

but
In the bottom of our hearts
We felt the final cut

Would you have been happy to send your children off to that one, Susy? After all, it was started by a woman. Over a couple of islands thousands of miles away, for no more reason than wanting to appear "strong", "she bravely waved the boys goodbye again".

A bit like the posturing of our own "strong" woman - bravely ready to sacrifice everything that somebody else owns to save her political skin for just one more day.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 6 April 2013 12:42:56 PM
As I said, Antiseptic, I wouldn't want to send my kids off to ANY war.
I want peace in the world, but you have to agree that it is men who predominantly start and participate in wars?

I am not saying that there weren't wars that we had to have, in order to bring about peace, because of several mad dictators in the past.

I have looked after men with terrible post traumatic stress syndrome after wars, and the pain they experience is awful.
I don't want to see men or women at war at all.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 6 April 2013 2:38:45 PM
Suse do you think the boys who were "bravely waved goodbye" wanted to go off to kill and be killed?

Which "mad dictator" was suppressed in the Falklands?

Men go to war because they are given no choice. Women have often been part of the reason they feel that way. The White Feather movement that started in the first world war and continued into the second was an example. My own mother was scathing of my father well into the 70s because he had not fought in the second world war due to being in a protected occupation. She had a fiance who had killed himself in Wewak at the age of 21 - it was recorded as an accident, of course - and he was buried in the war cemetery in Lae where I grew up, where Mum used to visit his grave regularly. When Mum was in her cups Dad wore all her resentment at the world for having taken the love of her young life away, but of course to her he had been a hero and Dad as a non-combatant had to be cast as a coward. He never responded, but it cut him (and me) deeply.

If a few butch lesbians feel the need to prove how manly they are to their girlfriends I say give them rifles and let them do it. A few men might be spared and all of us will be better off.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 6 April 2013 3:27:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All