The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The lottery in which we all participate > Comments

The lottery in which we all participate : Comments

By Geoff Wall, published 27/3/2013

You might have a peaceful death, but then again, maybe not.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
individual,

I have directed that should I suffer a stroke, no matter how slight, I am not to be resuscitated. I am sure that many others feel the same way. In this case, public taxes would be saved. However, this is not the reason for my decision. Perhaps such decisions would balance out costs to the taxpayer of those needing care. I do not know.

I am curious. What do you believe? Should one put one's own directives in place, or leave it to others to decide for you?

My son-in-law is a Haematologist. Whilst he has encountered family members who want more than heroic measures to save a patient, he has also encountered those who desire treatment to cease although it was not in the patient's interest to do so. In other words, to unnecessarily hasten death.
Posted by Danielle, Friday, 29 March 2013 11:24:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
to unnecessarily hasten death.
Danielle,
I feel the same about having a stroke & having to exist in a sad & miserable manner, depending too much on others, making their life miserable also.
Where is that difference between letting death occur naturally or dragging it out artificially. Yes there are many, many instances where a stroke victim lived a quality life after a stroke but these are not what this is all about. Once you need to impose on others to forfeit their time to look after you permanently, then it should be considered to offer THEM a way out by humanely putting you to sleep permanently. In my opinion no-one has the right to impose so much on someone else, not even a spouse. I think I would feel so terrible that I'd actually want to be put away if I were to be so unfortunate to make my family suffer so much because of me. Even though money plays a major part in this once you need permanent care you've overstepped the mark. Very unfortunate but realistic. There are millions of healthy people dying every year because no-one gives them a handful of food which wouldn't cost more than a Dollar. Here we're discussing the spending of millions on a a handful of sick people. Where's tha balance. Life is sacred but not that sacred.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 30 March 2013 8:58:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for a succinct article on the 'lottery' that we will all face. In his book 'The Needs of Strangers' Michael Ignatieff reminds us that there are few presumptions in human relations more dangerous than the idea that one knows what another needs better than they do themselves.
In the 21st century the necessity for any one of us to be forced to stare down the lottery of dying in intractable pain, fear or indignity is an odious form of tyranny perpetuated by the state, Church and medical establishment.
Just as we grieve for or honour those who have died untimely or futile deaths, so too should we reflect upon those who have, or are yet to be forced to endure the 'bad death' due to ideology being prioritised over compassion.
Posted by Julia Anaf, Monday, 1 April 2013 9:28:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy