The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > RU486 can lead to jail > Comments

RU486 can lead to jail : Comments

By Jenny Ejlak, published 4/3/2013

If ignorance of the law is no excuse, then expect a lot of women to be jailed in the next few years.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Out of the 100,000 abortions performed each year how many were prosecuted?,even in states where it is illegal. I think this is a thinly veiled attempt to stifle debate about sex selection abortion and abortion itself, and with RU486 wouldnt you want a Dr to oversee this medical intervention? Ask anyone who has used it, the procedure can be violent.
Posted by up the ante, Monday, 4 March 2013 7:36:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pray to the virgin!
Posted by lockhartlofty, Monday, 4 March 2013 7:49:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here are the keywords:

" ...home was searched by police for a completely unrelated matter."

If the police are asked to take the first step in a de novo investigation charge, I am pretty sure it would be way down the list of job priority,and even into the cannot attend basket.

I agree about the stupidity of cross border regulations but this is stretching a point.
Posted by renew, Monday, 4 March 2013 9:31:24 AM
up the ante

you have summed it up perfectly albiet tragically for the defencless children.
Posted by runner, Monday, 4 March 2013 10:12:13 AM
Sometimes described as the morning after pill, it simply does not procure an abortion; but rather, prevents ovulation for the period any sperm may remain viable.
Should someone be asked to pay a lifetime price for date rape or the use of paralysing rohipnol, in a spiked drink.
And almost anyone can over indulge in cheap drinks, like those offered to young females; to ensure that males, who usually pay full price, attend the venue in numbers.
One should only buy bottled drinks, with the cap still on.
Moreover, there ought to be evidence of escaping gas as the seal is broken; and always consume your drink before using the bathroom, rather than leave a half empty drink, for some low life to spike!
Use the buddy system, to ensure you and your real friends remain safe!
Never ever trust a complete stranger, no matter how seemingly charming; and appoint a designated driver, who remains sober, to drive you safely home!
And lets not forget, or exclude, the now socially acceptable drugs like ecstasy, which lower normal inhibitions and safe driving standards.
Non consent, by any evaluation or example, including marital rape, ought to allow the mandatory procurement of over the counter, morning after pill, along with precise instructions in its safe and intended use.
The fact that its use remains a crime in some states, belief beggaring testament to the extreme and almost medieval ignorance, of some politicians; or, ultra pious bible bashing hypocrites?
If taking a morning after pill is an offence, then truly might we say, the law, in this instance, really is an ass!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 4 March 2013 11:11:19 AM
All of you are missing the point that women must have the right to decisions that affect their bodies, their health, their social, physical and emotional well-being. Men would never be treated like this - ie have women in power making decisions about their reproductive organs and their future. Every baby deserves to be a wanted baby
Posted by lillian, Monday, 4 March 2013 1:23:57 PM
Here, here Lillian.

RU486 is just one method of abortion, and should be one of the choices women have available to discuss with their GP if they want an abortion.

This should not be the business of anyone else, apart from the father.
It should especially not be the business of religious or unrelated males.
Abortion is legal, and it will always be legal...
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 4 March 2013 8:29:59 PM
@Susieonline- I think you will find that abortion is not legal in some states including QLD, however even it were legal,just because something is lawful doesn't necessarily make it 'right' Ask the German people who sanctioned the killing of the Jews- all lawful mind you, whether they now think it was 'right' see you tubes Ray Confort '180', it contains warnings.
Posted by up the ante, Tuesday, 5 March 2013 8:37:48 AM
Uptheante, you have the right to your own opinion, and I respect that.
If you or yours don't want an abortion, that's fine.
But please respect other people's choices if they don't agree with yours.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 5 March 2013 8:51:17 AM
Jenny, The requirement for taking the tablet in front of the doctor may seem like an unnecessary burden, but the TGA have valid reasons. The potential for unused tablets to be used incorrectly at another time or by another person could be deadly. In any case, before a medical abortion is carried out, the pregnancy must be accurately dated and an ectopic pregnancy ruled out by ultrasound scan anyway so there's no escaping a visit to the doctor.

I'm all for increased access to medical abortion, however despite the publicity that has surrounded the recent sponsorship of mifepristone (ru486) and the perceived simplicity of taking a tablet, medical abortion is not safer than a surgical termination. Risks and complications for a medical abortion are roughly similar, or possibly even slightly greater than the risks associated with a D&C under sedation, but the potential for serious complications increases when a woman attempts a medical abortion without adequate support at home and without timely access to hospital.

On the matter of the law. In states where abortion remains on the crimes act, while we have become accustomed to believing that abortion is legally available, for every abortion that takes place the first and only person who actually gets to decide if the abortion was lawful is a judge and jury. Every abortion has the potential to land the woman and her doctor in gaol. It's about time that abortion, the most frequently performed procedure in the world, was decriminalized and regulated the same as any medical care.
Posted by crumpethead, Tuesday, 5 March 2013 9:38:44 PM
its a pity that killing 100000 unborn a year mainly for convenience or sex selection does not put a few in jail. The numbers murdered would decrease quickly if it was the case.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 5 March 2013 11:15:12 PM
Where did you get the figure of 100,000 abortions from Runner?
This thread is about RU486...
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 6 March 2013 12:09:02 AM
Runner,

What is the problem with killing?

I am aware of only two christian sects that forbid their members to kill. It is obvious that "christians" regard the commandment about killing as merely a suggestion, why should non-christians give the slightest stuff at all?

Tell you what, runner, once all the "christian" churches have internally enforced the ban on killing, I'll consider congratulating them on getting it several thousand years too late. I'll even let you define which ones are "christian" enough to suit you.

I bet Members of runner's church are not discouraged from joining the armed services, they are not excommunicated and prayed against when they do, their funerals are not picketed by his other churchgoers for breaking a commandment knowingly.

When I have in my hand a document signed in the blood of the highest official of runner's church stating that henceforth their sect will never kill and will enforce punitive sanctions on members that do I will then allow that runner and his sect have a right to politely comment about the killing performed by others.

Until then runner, I think you are, like most of your type, a hypocrite.

A low one at that.

Be silent. We are all your betters.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Saturday, 9 March 2013 4:07:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy