The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tony Abbott on divisiveness > Comments

Tony Abbott on divisiveness : Comments

By Sarah Burnside, published 28/2/2013

Opposition to divisiveness is a recurring theme for Tony Abbott, however this tactic is a manipulative con.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Erm, isn't democracy based on division? Let's not get into the lack of authentic opposition to Liberal Democracy but surely to attract the loyalty of voters a party needs to divide them from the rest of the population, the results of bi-partisanship and consensus have been voter apathy and hostility toward the democratic process. Political parties in this country are so small and do so little to engage with their electorate that the whole electoral process is a mystery to most people,the majority would not be able to name their councillors, much less state and federal representatives or be able to list the key elements of their platforms... yet off they toddle to vote all the same.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 28 February 2013 12:00:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suggests Sarah listens to her labour mates a bit more. This morning, as usual and on script they all made the same spin-doctor written attack. This time it was on Morrison and even journalists are finding the repetition funny but most adults think it is pathetic.
Posted by JBowyer, Thursday, 28 February 2013 12:14:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Barrister and human rights advocate Julian Burnside
has pointed out that the economics of print and
electronic media tend to drive opinion in the
direction of populism. This has unhappy results
now that both major political parties have, it seems,
abandoned their founding principles and form policies
by reference to media coverage generally and to news
polls and focus groups in particular.

It is therefore not surprising that the Opposition
leader has taken a different approach in this election
year. The modern fact of political life is a result of
new technology which allows political parties to see
what responses (policy and others) will produce an
electoral advantage in key marginal electorates.
And Mr Abbott has been advised that it's better to say
nothing than to behave as he has in the past or say
something silly. Hence his improvement in the polls.
Some voters are falling for this technique instead
of asking for scrutiny and a serious debate on the issues.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 28 February 2013 12:21:20 PM
abbottphobia. Oh how sweet it is! I recommend ABC 24 on election night for a good night's viewing. The hatred will be spewing while other lefties will be stewing.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 28 February 2013 1:04:19 PM
Dear runner,

Try controlling your own phobias first.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 28 February 2013 1:19:52 PM
I think many underestimate Abbott's intellect and passion.

I have more faith in Abbott than most.

I like the fact that he has been prepared to say what he thinks on a number of issues, although i do not always agree with him.

And his views on recent issues give me heart that he is more capable than most of addresssing the issues confronting Australia.

Time will tell, but i think he wil do okay if elected as PM, albeit we live in difficult times
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 28 February 2013 2:56:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy