The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why are family courts out of step? > Comments

Why are family courts out of step? : Comments

By Charles Pragnell, published 28/2/2013

Every week there are cases where decisions are taken to order children into contact with, and even into the custody of, parents who have abused them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Part 2

Houellebecq subsequently find the report quoted by ChazP http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=12255#212507

"In this report it states '23% of young people between the ages of 12 and 20 years had witnessed an incident of physical violence against their mother/stepmother'

In the very same report, it also states,

'and 22% against their father/stepfather'."

Eg after ChazP who made the original reference to the report claimed that the figure would be so low as to be non existent we find it's in the same part of the report and that there is a 1% difference.

Sometime later after numerous post which ignore being caught out ChazP comes up with possibly the most honest thing he or she has ever posted on OLO

"The selective use/misuse of information is part and parcel of any debate"

The article looks like more of the same.

Robert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 28 February 2013 3:41:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's no doubt that ChazP is Charles Pragnell. His twitter handle is Chaz3931 if anyone is remotely interested. I'm sure he'd appreciate a tweet to discuss his flexible attitude toward the truth.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 28 February 2013 4:07:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
R0bert, was the violence witnessed by the children identified as parent against parent? I ask merely because a child I knew at a local primary school sometimes used to report that the adults at his house had got drunk at the weekend and fought, once to the point of throwing his Uncle through a glass door, so he had clearly witnessed a lot of violence, but as far as I know none of it was between his parents.
Posted by Candide, Thursday, 28 February 2013 4:56:13 PM
Candie, I don't know if that's specified either way. If I can find the link to the report I'll have a look.

The point I was trying to make is that Charles (and others pushing the same anti father agenda) has runs on the board for only telling part of the story (and in fact pretending that the other part of the story did not exist).

There is plenty of evidence to show that initiation of family violence is not gendered to any significant degree. The gendered part of only comes in when you look at serious direct injury and reports of physical fear felt (and that generally ignores the other impacts an abusive female spouse can have a on her male partner).

Those who want to play the it's mostly men who abuse ignore the material on rates of substantiated child abuse (where women look worse but probably because they more often have prime care).

Family violence is not a gender issue regardless of how Charles and other try and play it, it's far more to do with other factors such as substance abuse, poverty, stress, unemployment etc than gender.

While people keep trying to make it about gender it's taking the focus off reducing the real risks to kids.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 28 February 2013 5:19:12 PM
Charles Pragnell seems to be fond of the words "protective parent". Could those words be code for "possessive and vindictive parent" in a lot of cases?
Posted by Roscop, Thursday, 28 February 2013 5:21:53 PM
They're code for "parent who attracts Government funding for going to Court", Rosco.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 28 February 2013 5:34:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy