The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abandoning Julian > Comments

Abandoning Julian : Comments

By John Pilger, published 18/2/2013

WikiLeaks is a rare truth teller; smearing Julian Assange is shameful.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I always enjoy John Pilgers Articles here... such fun !

It's an insight how the "other" 0.01% "think".

The best read since Monty Python.
Posted by Aspley, Monday, 18 February 2013 1:03:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pliny, as I understand it there are no charges. The allegations I've seen don't involve rape as most of us would understand it.

Correct me if you have a credible source for a contrary view but my understanding of the situation is roughly the following

- Authorities would like to interview Assange regarding complaints which have been made of a sexual nature which do not involving allegations of rape or other forced or cooersive sexual actions.
- Authorities are insisting that the interview be conducted in Sweden
- Assange has previously expressed a willingness to be interviewed in Britian, either face to face or via electronic means.
- He has already been interviewed over the allegations and at that time a decision was made not to proceed with the matter
- Sweden has refused to give any undertaking that he would not be handed over to a third party on unrelated charges if he was to travel to Sweden for the requested interview

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 18 February 2013 1:14:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is disappointing that the anti-Wilikeaks mob think it more appropriate to attack the messenger or the leaker than to address the corruption that much of the information reveals.

Abandoning Julian is about pandering to US interests which sometimes Australian governments of all stripes link to our own. The fiasco that was Iraq should be enough evidence that blind adherence is not in our interest or in the interests of other nations where the US has sought to use their influence to benefit US corporations (who also generously fund political campaigns).

I don't know if Assange is guilty or not of the allegations (it was not rape if I remember correctly). RObert is right, there have been no charges laid, the Swedish authorities are being pig-headed in their refusal to interview Assange in the UK. Remember they want to question him not the other way around and innocence is assumed until proven guilty. Sweden as many other countries, have often interviewed people offshore to expedite the process. Why not this time?

More importantly why is Australia not doing more to protect his rights or to at least facilitate a meeting with the Swedes. Isn't this what consular assistance is about?

What about the secret Grand Jury meeting in the US of which no-one knows the outcome. The fear of Assange being extradited to the US are real, one only has to look to the past behaviours when a group or individual (or a country) is deemed to be working against US interests.

It is about time that the US realises that their wellbeing (ie. the wellbeing of the wealthiest 1%) is not more important than every other nation's wellbeing. Or more important than eradicating poverty through more equitable economic policies, or damaging the environment from lack of oversight over oil and mining companies.

But now I am getting carried away.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 18 February 2013 1:39:27 PM
If this gentleman is innocent, as claimed, why then does he feel the need to remain in the embassy ? Would it not be better for both his own well being (his health) as well as his peace of mind, to simply go to Sweden, confront these charges. And if it turns out that he is innocent, he can then move on happily with his life. And if he feel's so motivated, 'knock off' a few more scandalous 'dregs', ostensibly belonging to some other country, in order to further titillate those few who are really interested ?

Or maybe he want's to remain in the embassy, in order to ensure the public 'spotlight' remains firmly on him ? They say all publicity is good, for some I suppose ? Or do we dare ever believe (perhaps) he and Johnno Pilger are in it together, for a piece of mutual publicity, as both their public persona's are extensively waning ?

I believe another contributor herein has said, he's allegedly stolen material ('intellectual property'), belonging to other countries ? Therefore, shouldn't he also be brought to account for that too ?

It's interesting really, whenever there's a 'cause' no matter how indistinct, vague or obscure it's objectives may be, there's old Johnno Pilger, by his own admission, standing out there in the bitter London cold, with people a quarter his age ? Surely, wouldn't it be in his best interests to be at home in Hammersmith, feet up before the fire, watching re-runs of 'Coronation Street' ?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 18 February 2013 2:23:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Julian Assange did not steal anything, he simply allowed documents to be published that were leaked to him by a whistleblower, as did most of the world's media.

For heaven's sake, why is it that in Australia today law does not matter, human rights don't matter and so on.

I remember well being abused shockingly over being at the first and every other rally for David Hicks to be released from Gitmo, but in the end all charges against him were found to be illegal and bogus yet he was allowed to rot for years.

Now we have the case of Ben Zygier, another Australian abroad, who was allowed to rot by Australia, the Bali 9 turned in by the AFP and so on.

Being an Australian citizen has to mean something but not once has Australia done a single thing to assist Assange.

He is an international hero and with all due respect for Jemima her claim to celebrity is being born a spoilt little rich girl who married a famous hunky cricketer.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Monday, 18 February 2013 3:01:16 PM
On Sung perhaps he is staying there, because he has found some ladies in there, who don't mind being shared.

Should we abandon him? You bet, but as with the rules of the sea, we should sink him as we go. We can't leave a danger to all honest seafarers drifting around where it may cause more damage than it is worth. He is an endangerment the innocent.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 18 February 2013 3:19:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy