The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The election - any date won't do > Comments

The election - any date won't do : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 14/2/2013

Julia's September 14 date with destiny clashes with dates that are important to Australia's international interests.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
SF & Yuyutsu,

the silence and failure to address my response, gives me the unqualified justification in assuming you have given up the mantra.

Your inability to respond speaks tomes about your real conviction.

Still waiting and hoping!

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Monday, 18 February 2013 10:57:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Geoff,

First you addressed a personal question to SF:

<<Oh by the way SF, perhaps you can solve 'your' riddle on why you cannot attend the election, noting that you are not religious>>

Then you complain that I haven't responded...

How am I supposed to answer for SF when s/he is Jewish, but claiming to be non-religious while I am religious but non-Jewish?

My unauthorised guess is that SF is one of many Jews who consider themselves "traditional" or "cultural" Jews, following certain family traditions for the simple reason that these were always kept in the family for many generations, thus linking her/him with her/his ancesstors (the fact that some of his/her ancesstors happened to consider it a religious duty is besides the point). This hypothesis is supported by the fact that of all the many customs of Yom Kippur, s/he chose to mention it as the day of remembering the dead.

Carving a day out of the stream of ordinary time, dedicated to prayer, repentance and austerity (including fasting), is usually a religious act, whether or not the person who does so believes and acknowledges that it is so.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 12:23:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy