The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The search for a godless vision of morality in Australian politics > Comments

The search for a godless vision of morality in Australian politics : Comments

By Mitchell Landrigan, published 4/2/2013

Julia Gillard's appointment as Prime Minister heralded an end to a sustained period of Christian leadership by her predecessors.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
'Section 116 of the Constitution says "no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth". So, WTF. Why are we having this conversation? '

oh so a future PM could be into bestiality and then should not determine whether that person if fit to lead the nation. When are people going to wake up to the fact that private philosophy and lifestyle does affect public policy. Look at the current handbag brigade in Canberra now if you don't believe it.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 5 February 2013 11:00:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"...a model of robust ethical values based on godless morality."
What godless morality? After all, it's an atheist philosopher that's loudly and proudly proclaiming that under atheism, there is no basis for any morality whatsoever:
"In fact, I have given up morality altogether!....In a word, this philosopher has long been laboring under an unexamined assumption, namely, that there is such a thing as right and wrong. I now believe there isn’t.....The long and the short of it is that I became convinced that atheism implies amorality; and since I am an atheist, I must therefore embrace amorality."
(http://philosophynow.org/issues/80/An_Amoral_Manifesto_Part_I)

"The last time it was tried as a system of government was a period known as the Dark Ages where the torture and victimisation of non-believers was accepted as normal practice."
Funny thing, I could have sworn torture, victimisation and also executions of non-believers (of atheism/secularism/communism) were also the usual practice of the anti-religious French Revolution and the more recent communist countries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism
Posted by RMW, Wednesday, 6 February 2013 10:29:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner said
"... oh so a future PM could be into bestiality and then should not determine whether that person if fit to lead the nation. ... "

correct me if I am wrong, but I thought bestiality was a crime applying to all people, Christians or not.
Posted by mally, Wednesday, 6 February 2013 10:57:16 AM
While the Prime Minister has failed to explain her opposition to same-sex marriage it is according to Labor insiders a genuinely held belief. This is of course puzzling to many people as she is an athiest and openly lives with a partner she is not married to. She was raised a Baptist which holds very conservative views on this issue and while she has parted ways with the faith that is not to say her personal beliefs have not been influenced by it.
Posted by Aussiesoul, Friday, 8 February 2013 6:46:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy