The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bega council plays politics with Woolworths > Comments

Bega council plays politics with Woolworths : Comments

By Richard Stanton, published 4/2/2013

City councillors too often get panicked by the slightest amount of political pressure.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Wow, some experts on retail and The Sapphire Coast. Some nearly got it right. The Marketplace development in Bega as with the Supermarket development 20 clicks south at Tura Beach are not commercial successes in terms of ownership, check the specialty stores vacancy levels but, they both provide ease of access and a greatly improved level of variety for convenience shopping. Bega Council approved both developments. Tura Beach is now over two years old and does not suffer local animosity anymore.

Yes Council ideally should reflect community thinking but it also has a major and even greater role of securing the future of the towns and villages within its area. Yes Council is being political but common sense says they must listen. In the end however the development will be approved and appreciated.
Posted by Waterhole, Tuesday, 5 February 2013 7:44:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I live in Bermagui, I do not want this development.
There are a minority that want this to go ahead. Council got over 350 applications against it and only 31 for. At the local meeting on the 14th of Feb there was a clear number against than for. 25 against got up to speek - 5 for got up to speek.
It is clear that we do not want this. I was born here, my parents were born here and my Grandparents were born here. This is a village, and if "ring in's" don't like it then they shouldn't have moved here in the first place. Why do people move to a town and then want to change it??
Posted by WendyF, Saturday, 16 February 2013 6:44:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WendyF:

...I maintain the context of my post above describes the position of your Local Council. Big corporations have total power over when and where they will develop their enterprises.

...For the “umpteenth” time my point was demonstrated again in my local area, (A coastal town similar to Bermagui), recently in an effort to block a development by “McDonalds”. McDonalds won in the end of course, against a huge ground swell of local opposition.

...Legal brothels are another development which will be impossible to prevent in your local shire: But if the local population continue its opposition against these enterprises, those unwelcome additions to the town can and will be sent broke. The McDonalds franchise outlet mentioned has gone broke from lack of patronage, and I have been personally involved in demonstrations against a local brothel which also went broke and moved on in the same way.

...Local Councils have long lost the ability to represent the sentiments of their local populations, and are now totally an “Un-Democratic” institution
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 16 February 2013 10:09:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy