The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The greatest human impact of all > Comments

The greatest human impact of all : Comments

By Julian Cribb, published 18/1/2013

While climate change has grabbed the media and policy limelight there is another, far larger, human impact on ourselves, on Planet Earth and on all life in it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Julian, I read some time ago of an entrepreneurial West Australian, who had apparently built a very high heat furnace; hot enough to reduce most toxic man made complex chemical compounds, back to their relatively benign components, and produced power and some profit, while doing it, if memory serves?
So I wonder if anyone in their right mind, can actually mount a defence for simply disposing of extremely toxic chemicals; flushing them down the toilet, or worse, out into farmland, where they can combine with our food chain or water table?
I've lived through times, when we all once regarded tobacco and DT/PB's/organo phosphates, as harmless and or beneficial products.
Ditto asbestos, mercury, lead and the cadmium we used to plate corrugated iron with, to prevent it rusting while doing duty on our roofs.
Why, I read recently where some Canadian building products firm had relocated to India, just so they could continue to use asbestos in their domestic Indian wall cladding products!?
Apparently, it improved the bottom line!?
There was a time when we would tar and feather these types, and run them out of town on a rail! Perhaps we need to reinstitute and dispense, some old time justice?
I mean, it's not like the so-called authorities are acting on these and the other things you've highlighted.
The only time the pollies seem to want to listen to the average mug voter, is just around election time?
Perhaps we could get them to listening to us, rather than powerful sectional interests?
If we always put the incumbent last on the voting slip, at least until we had cleaned all the dross out of our parliaments, and or, their international equivalents?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 18 January 2013 10:32:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are a number of statements in this article which I believe do not stack up to scrutiny.

Firstly, the rise in neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimers is due to increased life expectancy, not chemicals. After all in 1900 the average life expectancy was around 50 yrs of age in the western world. This meant these diseases did not have time to show up in the population.

2. The increased life expectancy around the world is occurring despite this supposed increase in chemical exposure.

3. Improvement in diagnosis and identification has led to the finding of many new illnesses not that they didn't exist before. Chemicals are not creating new diseases.

"In Australia, for example, coal pollution is estimated to kill four times more people than motor vehicle accidents." REALLY ? Evidence please!
Posted by Atman, Friday, 18 January 2013 10:55:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
good lets prepare for death. Heaven and hell are for eternity.
Posted by runner, Friday, 18 January 2013 10:57:48 AM
Julian, Rachel Carson produced a book that was 100% nonsense. I think your article has made a similar score.

I notice that you do have another source, besides Rachel Carson: UNEP, which would have about the same credibility as the IPCC. Where UNEP does not have the nonsense you seek, you obviously make it up.

You say: “Possibly the only thing that can prevent the worldwide poisoning of humanity and all life is consumer concern and refusal to buy polluting products or to tolerate babies being born pre-contaminated.”

Even you must feel some embarrassment at publishing a cringe-worthy statement like this.
Posted by Leo Lane, Friday, 18 January 2013 11:55:00 AM
The whole article is in fact a load of assertions. Julian does not bother with sources for almost all of it, and most of the stats he uses are highly questionable.

As for the bit about dead bodies leaking chemicals into the ground water.. well, I suppose the caskets aren't air tight let alone water proof, or are they?

Actually Julian in his haste to condemn industry overlooked an instance where there is a problem. One Indian sect does not burn or bury its bodies it leaves them in the open air for vultures and still do this.. However, they found the vultures were being affected by a chemical that accumulated in the livers of people.. did affect the people but killed the birds.. Last I heard they were looking for a way to get the vultures back.. too many bodies moldering..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Friday, 18 January 2013 12:44:56 PM
Julian you are to be congratulated and thanked.

Like so many we have been concerned at the rapid decline in the CAGW alarmism. We had wondered about the onset of CPOW (Catastrophic Peak Oil Warning), then the COPW (Catastrophic Over Population Warning, the CFPW (Catastrophic Food Production Warning), then CGMFW (Catastrophic Genetically Modified Food Warning) and now we have COCW (Catastrophic Other Chemicals Warning).

I was beginning to worry the we humans might run out of things to worry about until you came to the rescue.

If it wasn’t for community minded people such as you we would have no reason to stay in bed each morning.

I’m sure that there will be many more human induced calamities that Agenda 21 can point us to.

Thank you and keep up the good work.
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 18 January 2013 1:35:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All