The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Iconoclastic sources of influences > Comments

Iconoclastic sources of influences : Comments

By Anne Frederick, published 14/1/2013

Michener, Bryson and Harper all have something to say to contemporary Australians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
hi Anne,

Your choices are interesting and show an open mind.

Mitcheners 'Caravans' is worth a read. It covers equally or more important religious and cultural influences in the middle east.

Of course Mitchner's novels do tend to present an American world view. That also needs be kept in mind when reading his 'historical' fiction.

While any book exploring Jewish history can be influential I think they need be looked at, with also in mind the development of christianity and why Christ and the West, including the UN, have rejected Jewish ways and the creation of an exclusively Jewish state. Christ's 'Sermon on the Mount' shows that rejection in it's essence.

All social campaigners require recognition. The abolition of slavery will be long remembered, somehow I doubt the abolition of flouride will be a source of inspiration for quite the same period.

But well read young woman, keep it up.
Cheers
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 14 January 2013 2:03:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The first truly iconoclastic book that I read was The Politics of Ecstasy by Timothy Leary.
I guess that is why I am so daffy!

Timothy was of course the modern version of the venerable Trickster or the Court Jester - the purpose of which was always to poke fun at our dreadfully grave seriousness.

Following on from authors recommended by Timothy I came upon my next iconoclastic book, namely The First & Last Freedom by the iconoclastic Spiritual philosopher Jiddu Krishnamurti.
Then to the works of Alan Watts, especially his The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.
Then to the work of Franklin Merrell-Wolff
http://www.merrell-wolff.org

After that I found it hard to believe any of the usual very solemn "authorities".
Posted by Daffy Duck, Monday, 14 January 2013 4:38:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't remember The Source all that well, so must not have been all that impressed, or at least it didn't spark my imagination.

I do remember Hawaii, & Tales of the South Pacific very well. With Along The Clipper Way by Francis Chichester, they were probably responsible for sending me off cruising around the Pacific for 8 years, in my yacht. In fact it was probably Chichester who first made me want to sail long distances, & start saving for a boat to do it.

That led to the next 10 years in the marine tourist industry, so those 2 fellers had a lot to answer for in the direction my life took.

It is probably poetic justice that along with some other favourites & photo albums, my collection of Michener & Chichester went sailing with me. 8 years later I discovered the port in which I had all these treasurers stored contained a solid block of paper mache. Those books of the sea were no match for the sea air & the tropics combined.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 15 January 2013 1:38:02 AM
a cunning piece well written by an anti fluoride adovcate
Posted by sheepdog, Tuesday, 15 January 2013 8:24:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy