The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Merry Christmas? Don't insult me. > Comments

Merry Christmas? Don't insult me. : Comments

By Theo Zographos, published 27/12/2012

In the last few days, I have received dozens of letters supporting my motion that Merry Christmas be included on decorations. I have received not one against.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I do not celebrate Christmas, and have no plans of starting now or in the future. I am not offended when someone says 'Merry Christmas' to me as it is akin to 'Have a nice day' as it is in many instances a throw-away comment with little feeling behind. Nor are most people who I know that do not celebrate Christmas offended when they hear it either.

However, 'Seasons Greetings' has always sounded wrong to me. 'Seasons', which seasons? Summer, Winter, Racing Season, Fruiting Seasons - What?

'Seasons Greetings' and the associated banalities came about because a few individuals were offended and others took up the banner to champion their cause. It is easy to champion a cause like this, but where are these others to champion the cause of homelessness, poverty, mental health support (or lack thereof), vicious school bullying and assault, etc. They are nowhere to be seen. You can be living in hell, but as long as you aren't offended by a 'Merry Christmas' it's all good.

People's priorities make me sick sometimes.
Posted by Arthur N, Thursday, 27 December 2012 10:41:34 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually Christmas is the co-opted Christianized version of the almost universal northern hemisphere celebration of the winter solstice - the reappearance of the light in the depths of a dark winter.
It was/is called.
Alban Arhtan by neo-Druids in England
Amaterasu the celebration of the Shinto Sun goddess in Japan
Chaomos festival of the Kalash people of Pakistan
Chronia festival of ancient Greece
Christmas started in 4th century Rome
Deygan Zoroastrian celebration of ancient Persia
Dong Zhi observed by Buddhists in China and East Asia
Feast of St Lucia ancient Scananavian festival became St Lucy's Day
Hannukah the Festival of Lights throughout Judaism
Hogmanay Scottish new year with roots in Norse solstice celebrations
Inti Raymi observed by Incans during southern hemispheres winter
Junkanoo parades in Bahamas and Jamnaica originating in West Africa
Makara Sankranti Hindu midwinter festival in India and SE Asia
Saturnalia sun festival of ancient Rome
Soyal ceremony of Zuni & Hopi tribes in North America
Wren Day from Druidic tradition of Ireland & Wales
Yule or Jul observed since the Viking Age by Norse & Germanic cultures.

I include this greeting in cards that I send to my friends.

On this Feast of the Light in Every Body
may you give and receive
the Gifts of Love and Happiness,
and may the Spirit of this Celebration
live in your hearts throughout
the New Year.

Of course what usually happens is that after the good feeling of the Christmas celebration most people quickly revert back to their barbarian self by the time the New Year arrives. With New Year Eve's celebration being in many cases grossly degrading.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Thursday, 27 December 2012 10:55:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't particularly care one way or another WHAT the decorations say. I DO care, however, that my elected representatives make the most effective use of their precious time, and don't waste it on revisiting and debating decisions that were utterly trivial in the first place. This author has cost the ratepayers of Monash a considerable sum of money for no good reason, and I hope they will keep that in mind when election day rolls around again.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 27 December 2012 11:22:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see a lot of silly pointless arguments about this matter, December the 25th. is supposed to be the birth date of Jesus of Nazareth, a lot of "Christians" think Christ is his second name, they haven't a clue about what Christ means. A lot of churches carry on with a lot of sanctimonious drivel and their "blind" followers smugly grin at each other while "singing at the ceiling" and then wander off thinking they have "done good works". PLEASE HAVE A SAFE HOLIDAY would have be a good alternative.
Posted by lockhartlofty, Thursday, 27 December 2012 1:14:14 PM
I have just returned from Burma (mainly Buddhist),Malaysia (mainly Muslim), Singapore (mixed) and India (Hindu). In all these places Christmas was being celebrated as Christmas - trees, carols the lot - and no one was turning a hair.
It seems it is only in mainly Christian countries, such as Australia that we get precious over the feelings of minorities in this matter. Yet back in Australia I have yet to meet anyone of any other religion who is offended by the celebration of Christmas.
Posted by Graham Cooke, Thursday, 27 December 2012 4:33:25 PM
Let's see now, Graham -- that would be

Burma -- where Buddhists are burning Muslim villages and killing dozens of people.

Malaysia -- where journalists are deported for 'insulting' a dead prophet, and performers can't perform if they have tattoos saying 'Allah'.

Singapore -- where they ritually cut the throats of live sheep.

India -- where three weeks ago a woman was beheaded in the street by her brother in an 'honour' killing.

What wonderful examples of religious open-heartedness to put in front of us! Let's be just as tolerant of other faiths and attitudes as the inhabitants of these nations are!

PS: you can find all the relevant articles by searching http://religiousatrocities.wordpress.com/
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 27 December 2012 6:22:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy