The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Compromise in East China Sea a test of leadership > Comments

Compromise in East China Sea a test of leadership : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 20/12/2012

During my recent visits to Japan and China I have been struck by the militant rhetoric of officials in both countries in our discussions about the islands.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Then on your premise Worldwatcher, the Australian Defence Force should be in Australia defending Australia, and not particpating in the illegal invasion of Iraq.
Posted by Kipp, Thursday, 20 December 2012 4:44:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jonswift

Your post does not seem to respond to anything I posted.

A general response to your post would be that good old Julie trots out this Middle School stuff that should be way beneath a would-be Deputy PM.

She demeans the position she holds. Her mouthings are akin to the ra-ra stuff that a good looking girl might use to run for head girl or school captain.

But she persists. Why?

Some sort of campaign to anesthetise our mind?

And she never responds to any of us, but week after week she delivers her sermon - perhaps a lolly drink to take away the bitter taste of the Abbott's doom and gloom?
Posted by Chek, Thursday, 20 December 2012 5:36:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't consider the criticism of this piece to be unwarranted. In fact, I'm not sure which worries me more - the Year 11 essay-standard of the article itself, or the fact that it is viewed as "valuable" by some readers. There are literally dozens of weightier, more insightful commentaries published every day, so quite why Ms Bishop believes her contribution is worth presenting is itself a mystery.

I found this observation from worldwatcher somewhat disturbing, to say the least.

>>It is reassuring to hear that Julie Bishop has had these discussions. We need to be informed about all matters within our region, and without such dialogue we would remain unaware or prepared for consequences which would affect us too<<

What, I wondered, is at all reassuring about the piece? It contained nothing new - let's face it, anybody who wasn't already aware of every single fact it contained should take a long hard look at their reading habits. Furthermore, we are given no insight at all into Ms Bishop's contribution to the "dialogue". With whom did she have discussions? Who were the "officials in both countries", and on whose behalf were they speaking? For all we know, they could be far distant from mainstream thinking, or even entirely irrelevant.

This is not intended to be more criticism of Ms Bishop herself, although she would do well to raise her game a notch or two. It is an expression of sadness that even a few people here could consider her offering as a valuable contribution to debate.

We should demand far higher standards of our elected representatives. And we should start demanding it right now.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 20 December 2012 7:18:18 PM
Dear Chek and others,
Rather than meet the terms of my challenge, you repeat your personal insults.
I have no interest in your personal vilification of Julie Bishop or anyone else.
If you have a constructive contribution please make it with an authoritative article on a topic of your choice.
Surely it is better to add to debates rather than detract from them?
In my experience, the first person to resort to personal insults has lost the argument.
Perhaps it is time to lift YOUR game, rather than call on Julie Bishop to do so?
At the very least, it would be good for your insults to be more mature.
Posted by JonSwift, Thursday, 20 December 2012 9:12:44 PM
Pericles and others,

Be charitable to the lady, and consider she may feel that - to get her points across - it is preferable to state facts simply.
As an accomplished lawyer she obviously has a far greater repertoire of words to draw from ,but that would only confuse some people.

Her latest trip to Japan and China was the result of an invitation from their ministers for foreign affairs. As our Shadow Minister for foreign affairs she has paid 4 visits this year, so obviously she is aware that the ties with them are as important [ or even more so ] as our affiliations with other countries.
No, we don't know what was discussed in private, but assume it wasn't just the weather.

As for not responding to our comments, why should she? I for one would rather she carry out her duties on behalf of this country, while taking time occasionally to remind us of important matters, thereby stimulating more thought and debate, or even fresh perspectives on subjects she puts forward.

Kipp,
Sorry, don't quite follow your post about any premise I appear to have. Would appreciate if you would clarify to which particular premise you refer.
Posted by worldwatcher, Thursday, 20 December 2012 11:39:32 PM
Kipp,

Would like to hear your views regarding the fighting in Syria as well.
Posted by worldwatcher, Friday, 21 December 2012 12:47:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy