The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The English language in decline? > Comments

The English language in decline? : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 14/12/2012

A guide to contemporary horrors of the vernacular

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
>>Do you have any map co-ordinates which show where this 'civilized and resplendent facade' can be seen?

It can't be in Australia because we are not civilized and it certainly can't be in the U.S. because they are even worse than us.<<

It's in Kazakhstan.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Saturday, 15 December 2012 4:51:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sorry you didn't mention "in terms of", which usually means either "in" or "of". But isn't "disappoint" a transitive verb? The Collins and Oxford dictionaries think so.
Posted by criticaster, Saturday, 15 December 2012 6:12:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Language is constantly evolving and fluid at all times. However, I've noticed that certain words become the "in" words.
The one which has made me cringe recently with it's overuse is "icon". Take note Forum members, and maybe it will have the same effect for you.
Posted by worldwatcher, Saturday, 15 December 2012 10:44:15 PM
Jocelynne,

Have you ever read mediaeval English?
You are like the King Canute of the lexicon, commanding the language to stand still and remain stagnant.
As with all the Canutes before you, you will fail.
Yes for those of us with a strong Grammar background "bored of" jars excruciatingly. I despair on a personal level at the use of the word "decimate". But we don't count. We are but pimples on the bum of the English language history. What is, is. What will be wil be.
No amount of our decrying it will change anything. Nor should it.
Posted by Shalmaneser, Monday, 17 December 2012 8:28:40 AM
Neatly put, Shalmaneser.

>>No amount of our decrying it will change anything. Nor should it.<<

But I would like to enter a plea on behalf of poor old Canute.

>>You are like the King Canute of the lexicon, commanding the language to stand still and remain stagnant.<<

He did not believe for a moment that he could turn back the tide.

He was actually making this precise point to his courtiers, that resistance is, indeed, futile.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 17 December 2012 9:17:18 AM
Thanks Pericles (wise leader and peerless orator)

I would think that the change in the 'understanding' of the Canute reference amply demonstrates the way the language matamorphoses.
Posted by Shalmaneser, Monday, 17 December 2012 9:36:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy