The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An obsession with victimhood > Comments

An obsession with victimhood : Comments

By Alexander Deane, published 3/10/2005

Alexander Deane argues the explosion in mental health problems is symptomatic of the culture of victimhood.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Col, I must say I'm quite astounded. I would never have expected you to concede a point.

Your admission that "some depression is a function of brain chemistry" (and therefore is not just a result of "having the wrong attitude") was all that I was seeking.

As far as it being "all attitude" in your case - I'm glad that you've had success with the approach you've taken, and that you're a "happy chappy". Good for you !!
Posted by BC2, Saturday, 8 October 2005 5:09:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BC2 "Col, I must say I'm quite astounded. I would never have expected you to concede a point."

No point to concede - I never claimed "chemical imbalance" was not the source of some depression.
I merely suggested "social", "environmental" and "attitudinal" factors were sources but never proclaimed them to be exclusive.

As for “attitude”, yours, in demanding that, because my points of opinion differ from yours, that I should “Otherwise, shut up.” is contemptible and in need of some serious development.
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 9 October 2005 12:16:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No doubt victimhood is “big business” in our society. It is readily acknowledged and rewarded, but feeding it does not absolve it. I believe current levels of responsibility shifting are unsustainable. True victims have way too much competition for our attention.
Posted by Seeker, Sunday, 9 October 2005 12:39:59 PM
I thought it was too good to be true Col. You are incapable of conceding a point after all.

If you read back over the posts carefully, I think you'll find that you were indeed suggesting that "it's all about attitude". Which of course would be consistent with your conservative socio-political views (self-determination, every man for himself, etc, etc).

You only softened your position when you were put under pressure to actually provide evidence for your claim.

And if you read back over the posts, you'll also find that my concern was not that your "points of opinion differ from mine", but that you failed to back up your claims with facts.

I'm not saying that you don't have a right to wade into every discussion (as you do) and push your conservative views. I don't agree with most of what you say, but it makes for good debate.

However, I am saying that if you're going to make claims on substantive issues, it is incumbent upon you support such claims with factual evidence.

As for the nerve I hit by telling you to shut up, perhaps a bit of introspection wouldn't go astray ? Have you ever thought about re-examining some of the stances you take ? Have you ever thought about seriously and honestly looking at a contentious situation from another person's point of view ?

I thought not.
Posted by BC2, Monday, 10 October 2005 12:05:09 PM
I agree with Alex - not saying that clinical depression doesn't exist but it is WAY over diagnosed...or SELF diagnosed by people too pitiful to get out of their own way, so they MUST have depression.
(note: have depression - like it's a disease you can catch rather than a convenient excuse for bad behavior)

Even if the depression IS real, the best cure is to get off your arse and just get on with it.

*tongue in cheek*

Drugs should be reserved for recreational use only!
Posted by Newsroo, Monday, 10 October 2005 1:07:09 PM
BC2 God you are a bore –
“Have you ever thought about re-examining some of the stances you take ?”

Where do you get off with you continual criticism of me, in some vain defence of the deficiencies in your own attitude?

I could not care less about what you think of me or what you claim about the stances I may adopt.

I do care, however, when some boorish oaf suggests I “Otherwise shut up” simply because this is a lublic forum which invites contributions.

I can see you would support that other bombastic and arrogant oaf Latham, he and you have something in common, you both believe anyone who challenges you view should “Otherwise shut up”.

I “shut-up” for no one – never have, never will, not you, not some pseudo expert who thinks a “qualification” gives them the monopoly on expressing an opinion and not some self appointed rampaging ego demanding the right to represent my view because they think they might know more about me than I know about me.
So if all you can do is demand I “re-examine my stances”, I would humbly suggest you “shut up” yourself and find some more rewarding pursuit, because all you are doing is portraying what a shallow and boring life you must have.

Newsroo

“note: have depression - like it's a disease you can catch rather than a convenient excuse for bad behaviour

Even if the depression IS real, the best cure is to get off your arse and just get on with it.”

Newsroo – succinctly put, “having depressing” is to externalise it and, as you say, it becomes something which is contracted and can equally be “cured” like a headache, with a pill and no personal effort.

For the majority people with experiences of ”depressions” your suggestion is, in my view, appropriate - “get off your arse and just get on with it “. It works for me.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 10 October 2005 8:20:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy