The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An obsession with victimhood > Comments

An obsession with victimhood : Comments

By Alexander Deane, published 3/10/2005

Alexander Deane argues the explosion in mental health problems is symptomatic of the culture of victimhood.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Col, anyone who has paid even cursory attention to your rantings in various forums over recent years would agree that for you to call anyone else "pompous and stupid" is indeed an extreme case of the pot calling the kettle black.

It seems to me that you're being a tad evasive - which I have seen in your posts many times before, when you can't adequately defend your position.

So your ex-wife was hospitalised for depression eh? But this was before you met her? Were you actually living with her at any time when she was suffering from symptoms? Did you witness for yourself what she was going through? Did you ask her what it felt like, and truly understand what she told you? If you did, but learnt nothing and chose to persist in making such foolish comments about depression, your pomposity and stupidity has reached new levels.

Fair enough, you had some counselling and learnt some things about yourself. Apparently this makes you an expert on cognitive behavioural therapy.

But how much do you acutally know about the biological and neurological causes for, and symptoms of, major depression ? No, we do not need degrees in something to express an opinion about something - but we do need some facts on which to base that opinion.

Come on Col - just this once, instead of being evasive, why don't you tell us what you know about synapses, neurotransmitters and serotonin reuptake inhibitors? Then tell us how this knowledge supports the opinions you have proferred.

Otherwise, shut up.
Posted by BC2, Thursday, 6 October 2005 11:38:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks BC2 - I couldn't have put it better myself.
Posted by mahatma duck, Thursday, 6 October 2005 1:19:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BC2 “Otherwise, shut up. “

Sorry cannot oblige – the last time I looked this was a public forum inviting individuals to post.

Take your whining, snivelling and trivial complaints to the site administrator – he is their to either placate you or (more likely) ignore you.

As for me, I will continue to post what, when and where I like, regardless of your dictatorial demands to "shut up".

I will not be deterred by spiteful attacks from the likes of you or (based on the post immediately below yours), mahatmaduck or any other dictatorial scumbag who thinks that their own view is sacrosanct and us “ordinary folk” should shut up and defer to their omnipotent and pompous view.

As for depression – Like a lot of people, I have suffered from it , I guess mildly (past tense). Some other people around me still do. One of my close friends is diagnosed and in-treatment clinical “manic depressive”. His partner and I often discuss the impact of his “problems” on her as well as him and their relationship. Another is emotinally "crippled" by a clinical regime of medication and psychiatric visits.

Basically, I doubt whether there is a single person over the age of say, 25, who does not know someone who is depressed to some degree.

Hence, the idea of needing to “face up to ones own limits and reality” is not an uncommon view, regardless of the “chemistry” involved in brain activity.

Now for “cognitive behavioural therapy” maybe I should direct you to

http://www.rational.org.nz/prof/docs/Brief%20Intro%20to%20REBT.pdf

I empathise with the idea that it integrates with Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.

Point of note – never, ever, assume that simply because I do not “flaunt” knowledge of something, I know nothing about it.

Simply put, in future, I suggest you take your petty views and asinine opinions of me and just “stick it up where the sun will never shine upon it”
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 7 October 2005 10:26:43 AM
Well, well, well Col. Hit a nerve, did we ?

"Stick it up where the sun will never shine upon it" ? Such a compelling argument, and so eloquently put. Exactly what I suspected would lie under the surface.

The age-old tactic of the poor debater. If you're put under pressure and can't justify your position, resort to insults.

But I must say it takes less than I thought for you to show your true colours when someone actually holds you to account for the ridulous comments you come out with in these forums.

And as I suspected, you have not produced one iota of evidence to support an argument that a person suffering from depression can recover simply by changing his attitude, 'regardless of the “chemistry” involved in brain activity' (to take a direct quote from your last post).

That is what you are arguing, isn't it ? If it isn't, please enlighten us.

As for that article which you so helpfully refer us to - what's your point ? That counselling can be effective in treating depression ? Of course it can be - no well-informed person would argue otherwise.

But where are the facts to support your argument in terms of the biological causes of depression ? Point me to some credible scientific research which says that depression can always be overcome simply by way of attitudinal change, "regardless of the chemistry involved in brain activity".

Come on Col, instead of flinging personal insults and bleating about your right to state your views, why don't you actually support those views with some facts - as opposed to the emotive, simplistic claptrap that you've presented so far.

Or have you already given it your best shot ?
Posted by BC2, Friday, 7 October 2005 11:22:49 AM
Great Forum. Having had the experience of living close to a female and her son, both with personality disorders, which were virtually impossible to recognise until they violently exploded out of all perspective, damaging only themselves, I feel as a Mental Health expert, Mr Deane makes a great Barrister. He is, in fact exhibiting personality disorder by the act of blaming the victim.
Posted by artistB, Friday, 7 October 2005 6:30:28 PM
BC2 “Such a compelling argument, and so eloquently put. Exactly what I suspected would lie under the surface”

A comment such as your “Otherwise, shut up.”

Merits nothing more compelling.

As for “Point me to some credible scientific research which says that depression can always be overcome simply by way of attitudinal change, "regardless of the chemistry involved in brain activity".

Your statement presumes depression is caused solely by brain chemistry and has nothing to do with social or environment issues.

Whilst some depression may be a function of "brain chemistry", many people, for whom this does not apply, still think they cannot change their entire life by adjusting their personal attitude are doomed to one of frustration and depression.

For me – “its all attitude” and the result is I am one "happy chappy".
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 8 October 2005 12:26:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy