The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Swapping billionaire wealth for more brains > Comments

Swapping billionaire wealth for more brains : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 26/11/2012

The idea that universities are for those who are able to pay without acknowledging that this impacts differentially upon the working-class needs to be confronted.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Standing Ovation for you Hasbeen.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 26 November 2012 2:26:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For what it is worth, i am not implying that education should be for unlimited numbers, or free, or that some courses are not beyond criticism.

All i am saying is that some policy measures should be maintained to ensure that people from lower socio-economic backgrounds get an opportunity.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 26 November 2012 2:44:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris

You may be right that some measures for those in lower socio-economic groups are needed, but surely universal free university education is not the answer. Society benefits from having more people with higher education, but so do the individuals – graduates’ average earnings are significantly higher than non-graduates. A system of part-subsidy, in which students pay some but not all of the cost of their education, seems to me a fair balance of costs that reflects the balance of benefits, especially if they have time to repay their debt.

For disadvantaged groups, merit-based scholarships might be warranted.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 26 November 2012 2:58:55 PM
Rhian,

No, would agree free teriary education no longer a solution. Whether it be partially cheaper fees or based on merit allowing for circumstances of some disadvantage, i am not sure.

I just believe that a healthy liberal democracy must always do all it can to encourage social mobility, also in education terms. There are many disadvantaged that have potential and life experience to enhance natural ability and hunger to suceeed in education terms.

I am sure i would not have got published in Quadrant, supposedly a right-wing mag for some, if i had a cushy life and went straight to uni as a teen.

I was already an arrogant smart ..., so doubt whether i would have taken note of some of the lessons i observed in a variety of life experiences.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 26 November 2012 3:09:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy