The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia on the Security Council: a chance to show some good international citizenship? > Comments

Australia on the Security Council: a chance to show some good international citizenship? : Comments

By Alison Pert, published 21/11/2012

Perhaps Australia’s two-year tenure on the Security Council will be an opportunity for it to regain some of the reputation it has lost in recent years.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Eveyone has the right to seek asylum.. There is nothing that can be miscontrued there is there? Is there some ambiguity?
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 1:09:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Marilyn Shepherd,
This is not the answer I asked for, it's a cheap co-out.
Again, what should be done ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 1:34:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now obviously you don't care because you have freedom.
David G,
I live in an Indigenous community & you reckon I have freedom ? You'd better get real.
Had the Germans succeeded we'd be living in far better world now. Trouble is the do-gooders couldn't see it 60 years ago & they won't see it in another 100.
The problem in Palestine is that the Palestinians keep throwing bombs at Israel & Israel responds. There's no ideological this was then & that's why things are now. The point is that there is an Israel & there is a Palestine. Live alongside each other. Look even the Serbs & Croations have come to their senses & no-one would have put a bet on that.
Australians need to get a grip on reality also before it's too late.
My great,great,great,great ,great uncle had trouble with my neighbor's great, great, great, great, great uncle about the fence line so I suppose I'd better start throwing crap over the fence into my neighbors yard. That's the sort of mentality you're dealing with David G.
How on earth can you ever get peace like that ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 1:52:23 PM
Marilyn Shepherd wrote:

>>Eveyone has the right to seek asylum.. There is nothing that can be miscontrued there is there? >>

Nothing to be misconstrued. Everyone has the right to SEEK asylum.

Now:

Is it in the best interests of Australians to grant asylum to everyone who seeks it? If you think so please explain why.

Please note the phrasing of the question.

I am not talking about obligations Australia may or may not have under various international agreements. States do from time to time withdraw from agreements. They also vary on how they implement them.

Nor am I talking about what you think Australia ought to do because that's what your moral code dictates.

I am asking you what would be in Australia's best interests.

I shall add a rider. Unless you are talking numbers you aren't really answering the question. So how many asylum seekers is it in the best interests of Australians to accept?

10 a week?

100 a week?

1,000 a week. (I think it could easily get to a thousand a week)

Even more?

I emphasise again the test is "What is in the best interests of Australians?"

Not what is in the best interests of the political class.

Not what is in the best interests of people who get to feel good about themselves by being asylum seeker advocates.

Not what is in the best interests of people who make a living from being asylum seeker advocates.

But, coolly and dispassionately, what is in the best interests of Australians and why is the course you advocate in the best interests of Australians.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 1:53:34 PM
What do numbers have to do with seeking asylum? IN the last 23 years a mere 90,000 or so people have sought asylum in Australia with 57,000 of them flying here and not usually being refugees.

There is no quota system for asylum, 11,000 Syrians fled on one day without the neighbours endlessly whinging about it.

Everyone has the right to seek asylum.

What part don't you understand and where is there any room for Australia alone in the world to believe they are acting or allowed to act under different rules.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 3:48:54 PM
And Steven, the protection of refugees is not about us, it is about them.

Are you completely stupid.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 21 November 2012 5:06:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy