The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Charles Murray: I don’t do solutions very well > Comments

Charles Murray: I don’t do solutions very well : Comments

By Mark Christensen, published 19/11/2012

On the US conservative's criticisms of liberal romanticism and the spread of European Syndrome

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Meanwhile of course Murray is a "scholar" and propagandist at the AEI which is in turn one of the very influential players in the right-wing GOP Noise Machine.

The AEI of course also provided the idelogical justifications for the very well PLANNED process of shock and awe theft of the resources of Iraq and many other countries too as described in The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. The AEI was/is also an enthusiastic supporter of the unspeakably vile outfit featured here http://www.soaw.org
All of which was very much a part of what is described here: http://www.logosjournal.com/hammer_kellner

Speaking of David Brooks I was browsing through the new book by Tony Judt title Thinking the 20th Century. On the basis of personal on air encounters with Brooks re discussion of the importan poltical matters/happenings of the times and places, Judt describes him as an ignorant air-head bozo.

Meanwhile of course as a scholar in the REAL sense of the word, any and every thing that Tony Judt published (especially Ill Fares the Land) far surpasses anything that Murray ever wrote.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Monday, 19 November 2012 9:54:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daffy I think you did well to link comments about Murray's article by Mark Christianson with Naomi Klien's 'Shock doctrine'. I couldn't get handle on what he was actually on about; it joined no dots for me unlike the "shock doctrine" which did in spades. The "Shock doctrine" should be compulsary reading for every thinking person on the planet and doubly so for the so called leaders of democracy.
Cheers Den71
Posted by DEN71, Monday, 19 November 2012 8:27:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daffy Duck, DEN71,

An excellent lecture adaptation by Tony Judt on social democracy.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2009/dec/17/what-is-living-and-what-is-dead-in-social-democrac/
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 19 November 2012 8:40:29 PM
""Try to think of any new data that would change your position on abortion, the death penalty, legalization of marijuana, same-sex marriage, or the inheritance tax," [Murray] asks in Coming Apart. "If you cannot, you are not necessarily being unreasonable."

No, you may merely have a lousy imagination. But in general, refusal to change one's beliefs in the face of conflicting evidence is the very hallmark of ideological conviction triumphing over rationality.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 20 November 2012 6:29:03 AM
Meanwhile, referring back to a recent essay on progressive politics and religion and the exchange about G K Chesterton as a much quoted "authority" on the politics and culture of our time. ALL of the usual right-wing so called conservative Christian outfits and talking heads link into and are supportive of the applied politics promoted by the AEI and the "Heritage" Foundation. The applied politics as described in the Shock Doctrine and the essay by Hammer & Kellner.

Furthermore most, if not all of them are fans of G K Chesterton too. I havent done my homework on this but I think you will find that the various US Chesterton societies have direct links to all of the usual suspects above.

The AEI also has a resident "religious" scholar who is a very strident booster of the applied politics of Shock and Awe and of the School of the Americas too. This benighted ghoul even won the Templeton Prize for religious scholarship. He also had the arrogance (along with the even more benighted George Weigel) to try to persuade then then pope JPII to change his mind re his correctly principled opposition to the pending Shock & Awe invasion of Iraq.

So much for the defenders/boosters of "traditional" and/or "orthodox" religion. Of course in one way or another most/all of these talking heads rail against any kind of progressive religion.

Who would Jesus bomb?
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 20 November 2012 7:52:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy