The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A sigh of relief from France > Comments

A sigh of relief from France : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 9/11/2012

While the economy, global relations and the environment were causes for celebration, two election issues trouble Europeans. Both are present also in Australian politics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Hi Alan,
Look I enjoy your articles and this one as well. However I am astonished at the French and most of the other Europeans reaction.

Recently I've been having a discussion with Yabby about Gold vs Shares ... and Obama.
Yabby was cheering and sneering over Obama's reelection.
Cheering Obama and sneering at me for opting for Romney. He also backs shares against Gold ... when really Obama's re-election only affects us financially and not idealogically.

I've had a chuckle at Yabby's idealogical blindness... and was a tad concerned for his financial misfortune.

Why? Well two days after Obama's re-election Shares went over a cliff as gold rose.

I think the French are misreading the outcomes from the election.

Have you heard of the Fiscal Cliff? It was a topic not spoken about by Obama and not widely reported when Romney raised it.
Similarly Obama's record on the environment. Can you recall his stratagy last election? Renewables, renewables, renewables. Well he spent $1 Trillon for little result. What is his policy this time?

The Republicans were re-elected in numbers that still give them control of the Congress. They're insisting, as they promised, taxes will not rise and that spending will be curbed.

So it is thought, from knowledgeable pundits, that neither Obama nor the Congress are likely to broker a deal before the Jan deadline and it is likely the Yanks will go over the cliff and into recession. Once that occurs it is only then likely a deal will be brokered ... on spending. But in the meantime the Europeans will have to clean up their mess ... at the direction of the Germans. The Germans have the only reasonable economic environment in the Eurozone and I doubt they would have cheered Obama's re-election.

Now the other problem that was never raised in the election campaign by Obama was the debt ceiling. There is absolutely no possibility the Republicans will allow an increase after the way Obama deceived them last time.
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 13 November 2012 3:58:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont

So Obama won't be able to fund any renewable projects, implement Koyoto or adopt any measures from Copenhagen. Oh he may continue restricting exploration and drilling rights, but that's hardly game changing. Social welfare expenditure won't increase (without bankrupting the Gov't). Obama won't be able to 'intervene' in the economy with any stimulus. Defence spending will not rise and yet Obama has also promised to make the military 'leaner and meaner'. How's that conflicting position going to be resolved?

Now in Australia it is unlikely Obama's re-election will benefit our economy ... it didn't during the last 4 years so I expect a repeat or a recession. (Listening Yabby?)

Our situation isn't quite the same in Australia ... electorally.

No-one in the US election could quote words like these: 'There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead'.

Now what was that you were saying about the French condemning those who bear false witness?
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 13 November 2012 3:58:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BIOMASS AS a fuel for BOILERs

Biomass for energy often mean plant base material although can equally apply to both animal and vegetable draw from material. Biomass is actually a biological material derive form living or recently living organisms.
Posted by eavesheather2012, Friday, 23 November 2012 3:38:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy