The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hello Web 3.0. Goodbye privacy > Comments

Hello Web 3.0. Goodbye privacy : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 2/11/2012

Hi-tech's silver lining comes complete with its own very dark cloud: consumers are shepherded in new ways by multimillionaires who determine not only how our online lives are managed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
JJA:

...I once had a facebook account which lasted a week before I decided the pain was more intense than the gain, at which point I cancelled-out.

...My preferred way of communicating with “desirables” is via an e-mail account. E-mails give me the option of selecting incoming mail before the avalanche of advertising spam, which is easily diverted into the “trash bin” after the first attack. Using the facility of attachments, all correspondence necessary between others is accommodated.

...Anything oversize can be shipped-off through the local PO around the corner: All blessedly simple to me! Am I missing the point?
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 5 November 2012 9:33:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<...Anything oversize can be shipped-off through the local PO around the corner: All blessedly simple to me! Am I missing the point?>>

That's the way to go, Diver Dan, but just a small point for those who do not wish to stand in queue in the local PO - oversize items can also be transferred by FTP or split and sent in a sequence of smaller E-mails. Also, if you use Skype, there is no limit on the size of files you can transfer.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 5 November 2012 9:52:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu:

...E-life is a continually evolving process no doubt! Always better to follow the crowd from a long way back I have deduced, this article again confirms the logic to that theory!

...The reason for my position in the PO cue is posting "away" DVD's of video. It needs to be a very small video to comply to size limits in e mail attachments; and I thank you for your advice!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 5 November 2012 2:09:17 PM
Hi Pericles,

By “enhance” I mean that extroverts can connect with people more readily and more easily through social networking tools than through other tools. SN opens up the lives of the introverts, allowing them to connect with people they normally would never consider relating to and helping them break out of their shells through a tablet.

Regardless of whether one is extroverted or introverted, the number of connections among people grow. And they can become deeper and richer connections.

We establish more communities over a broader world span. We can if we choose establish a stronger social support structure. These communities can offer more support, can assist in times of need, and we're able to receive more immediate news and information on which we can act or choose not to act. The more information we can avail ourselves to the better informed our decision-making.

On the other side of the ledger, more is revealed about ourselves online which many argue is a negative development. Examples of such negativity includes unwelcome “sexting”; trolls and the common co-opting into a group (against one’s consent) to discuss or campaign about an issue over which one has no interest let alone an opinion, resulting in a flood of unwanted posts finding their way to one’s online accounts.
Posted by Jonathan J. Ariel, Tuesday, 6 November 2012 12:13:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy