The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The debate that mattered > Comments

The debate that mattered : Comments

By Ciaran Ryan, published 26/10/2012

The third and final US Presidential Debate has now been held, and the overall result has been to catapult Mitt Romney into the position of frontrunner.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
yabby

why do you lefties, when threatened by alternative ideas that challenge your current spruiked holy orthodoxy, always sink to the lowest level of personal attacks?

Don't you see how that tactic does more damage to you and your reputation than anything you say damages those with obviously reasoned opinions?

Now state a half dozen predictions I have made.
Posted by imajulianutter, Sunday, 28 October 2012 3:28:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*It will resonate with the vast majority of the electorate, will leave Obama a figure of ridicule, and deliver rather decisively the Presidential election to McCain.*

That was your prediction about the last US election Keith. That was
on the 26th September 2008. Hardly amazing stuff, as things turned
out.

Next people were fools for investing in shares, only gold was the
answer.

Your record is not the best.

Neither Obama nore myself are "lefties". Perhaps you fit in with
extreme right wing groups such as the tea party, the necons and
other fruitloops. But that is more about your extreme position,
rather then anyone else. Speak for yourself if you want to support
people who claim that children from rape victims are "gifts from
god" For those are the kinds of loony tunes, coming from the tea
party and their representantives.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 28 October 2012 9:13:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Two predictions Yabby ... in 4 years?

One wrong and the other entirely dependant on the dividends from BHP shares. If I'd invested in gold at $650 per ounce in July 2007 (now $1750) and you in BHP shares at $23.86, May 2005( now $32) well for your opinion to be a better prediction than mine you'd have needed annual dividends of ... well you work it out.

If you'd bought BHP shares in July 2007 ... well suffice to say you'd be deep in poo, while I'd be enjoying a great increase in wealth.

Consider factoring in the value of the Aus $ over the same period Yabby and you really start looking pretty silly.

http://goldprice.org/gold-price-history.html

Is that the best you can do?

I reckon one incorrect and one correct opinion in 4 years is pretty good. Why don't you become a little more balanced and logical in forming your opinions and errr ...forgiving of the odd error ... you'd enjoy your life much better if you did. You'd certainly become a more rounded individual and probably wealthier.

And you'd stop with your venomous personal attacks.

Do you really want to be regarded as a piece of work?
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 29 October 2012 8:57:05 AM
Keith, pointing out that your predictions are simply wild speculation, as
distinct from other posters who show a bit of wisdom, is hardly a
"venemous personal attack" just mere factual observation.

Even some of the wisest political observers in the US concede that
its a close race, as its not just about polls, but about which voters
actually get out of bed and go and vote, given that voting is not
compulsory.

On the share market you were also wrong. The secret to long term
investing, as distinct from speculating, is to spread risk, for none
of us have been shown to be able to accurately predict the future.

Holding blue chip shares, especially if they were bought whilst
people like yourself were predicting gloom and doom, has indeed been
very profitable over the last few years, contrary to your predictions.
So wild speculation from you is all that we have, Keith, that is just
your record on OLO.Pointing that out is quite reasonable.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 29 October 2012 9:50:38 AM
Good Laugh Yabby.

You tell me an increase from 24 to 32 (Blue chip Shares)and security is a better bet than an increse from 650 to 1759 (Ounce of Gold)(btw over a shorter period)and security. ie a 0.33 increase as opposed to a 2.5 times increase. And then insuinating buying gold is speculation and that gold isn't secure ... well your position that advising to hold gold instead of shares is logically worse advise than buying shares is silly. My grandfathers wisdom and advise of buying sold gold rather than gold miners rang in ears at the time. It was proven once again. Your position was and is illogical and unwise unless you value falling or static wealth. And btw did you factor in inflation? Or commissions?

Ahhhh but then again you've been a tad shifty too. As you find your argument debunked you add the little qualification 'as distinct from speculating' which I imagine you see as another justification for your unjustifable position.
Who ever would maintain buying gold and holding it in times of economic instability or uncertainity is speculation? Only Yabby. As of course you also maintain the times since the GFC have been 'very profitable'. Another straw man argument. I've never maintained times haven't been very profitable. I maintained you'd increase your capital wealth more by buying gold. As I said I have had more than a couple of great big belly laughs at your silliness Yabby and I'll laugh even louder when the Aus $ eventually recedes to it's nomal range against the US $.

It just goes to show in the last 4 years you've learned very little from anyone and you own obstination prevents you learning from your own very limited experience.

But carry on... you'll eventually get abreast of your leftie mates where equality means everyone is the same. The evidence from your speils says that is exactly where you are heading.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 29 October 2012 6:13:20 PM
*You tell me an increase from 24 to 32 (Blue chip Shares)and security is a better bet than an increse from 650 to 1759*

That is not what I am telling you Keith, so stop imagining things
and arguing with yourself and your imagination. I'm telling you
that your prediction of it all being gloom and doom for the stock
market, was in fact wrong.

I'm telling you that you should have paid more attention to your
grandmother, who no doubt told you not to put all your eggs in one
basket.

I'm telling you that if you bought say Wesfarmers shares in 2008
for 15$, or for around 6$ as I did, some years earlier, only a fool
would rush out and sell them to buy gold. I would in fact have been
far worse off if I had taken your advice, given tax implications
and all the dividend payments since then.

I am telling you that there is absolutaly nothing wrong with buying
some gold, as a way of spreading risk, but to rush out and sell
everything, because grandaddy said so, sounds more like panic to me,
rather then solid investment policy for the longer term.

Like I said, wild guessing by you, be it investments or the outcome
of the US elections. Just a shortage of wisdom
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 29 October 2012 6:57:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy