The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why non-government schools provide the best model - part 1 > Comments

Why non-government schools provide the best model - part 1 : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 15/10/2012

The prime minister has launched a national crusade on education looking at overseas models, but the answer is closer to home.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Thanks Individual, I shall file that under "Rants without substance".

David F - I'm sorry you disagree with the High Court of Australia but as I said before, the fight has been fought and lost. Is is disappointing that so many people try to stretch the intent of separation of Church and State to such extremes. Shows an lack of historical understanding of the basis of the concept and an innate bias.
Posted by rational-debate, Thursday, 18 October 2012 7:23:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rants without substance"
rational-debate,
I suspect you're a teacher hence the escape route you've chosen. Sad reflection on teachers really.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 18 October 2012 6:08:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual - Thanks for the research, as requested. I shall take the time to digest it fully and get back to you.

I was worried for a moment that you might just resort to a cheap cop-out, followed by an generalised insult. What a relief you didn't...
Posted by rational-debate, Friday, 19 October 2012 6:53:35 AM
Dear rational_debate,

I don't think my definition of separation of religion and state is in the least bit extreme. "Church and State" by Bishop Tom Frame contends we don't have the separation in Australia. I agree with him and would like to see it. He is satisfied the way it is now.

I have an excellent understanding of the concept.
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=10725&page=0 and
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=10790&page=0 contain two articles I have written on the subject.

Certainly I have a bias in favour of separation of religion and state. I think it is a very good idea.
Posted by david f, Friday, 19 October 2012 5:25:44 PM
The story of Finland's success contained in the link http://bit.ly/steoRz would deal with the insanity of religious education were it introduced into Australia. The only way to make a country unified, educated and peaceful is to give everyone, no matter where they live, how wealthy they are or what religion or ethnicity, the same education for free, taught by well educated and trained teachers who are given almost total responsibility for their charges.
With this system there is no place for religious and other private institutions indoctrinating their clients with notions of superiority, privilege and contempt for everyone else, as is the case today. Our politicians are, for the most part, the result of inequalities in education, which is why they're so stupid, ignorant, and unable to see the consequences of their actions.
Posted by ybgirp, Saturday, 20 October 2012 7:20:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For the record, Finland does have a limited number of private schools and they are fully funded by the government. Some of these are even run by insane religious people!
Posted by rational-debate, Saturday, 20 October 2012 9:00:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy