The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABC of gay-baiting Alan Jones > Comments

The ABC of gay-baiting Alan Jones : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 5/10/2012

Psychologically speaking, what motivates prominent ABC faces to gay-bait conservative figures?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I have a (gay) ABC friend who described Alan Jones as "giving gays a bad name for 71 years". Your analysis is more about what you perceive to be an ABC inspired attack on gays. The reality is that many gays and lesbians are as appalled by Jones' personal vindictiveness against women as the rest of the community - apart from Liberal voters.
Posted by Paul R, Friday, 5 October 2012 9:26:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The ABC is a tragic waste of taxpayers money. We all pay for those appalling, ignorant bigots.

And I disagree that it's Labor-first. It's Greens/leftie first, Labor roughly second (unless there's another leftie group first).
Posted by DavidL, Friday, 5 October 2012 10:04:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article appears to be looking for an angle to bash the ABC, a worthy activity, but this attempt (for me) doesn't work. If Alan Jones is indeed gay, then his avoidance does a disservice to the gay and hetro community. The baiting is not about being gay but being a hypocrite. I can, though, understand any reluctance, especially when one has a 1950s mindset and a previous proximity to Rugby League changing rooms.
Posted by Hoopdy Hoopdy La La, Friday, 5 October 2012 10:21:11 AM
'The article appears to be looking for an angle to bash the ABC, a worthy activity'

hehe
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 5 October 2012 10:57:50 AM
self righteousness and hatred are the motivators for many of the national broadcasters spewing bile at Abbott and prior to that Howard. I suspect its the same motivation when hating Jones. Usually it is because they point out the obvious which the left hate.
Posted by runner, Friday, 5 October 2012 11:18:04 AM
Yes, it appears more and more like Alan Jones' regrettable comment gave the virulent Left a perfect opportunity to try to shut him down. I don't listen to him - I'm in Qld - but I'm glad there is some broadcaster to balance the blatantly Left Wing comments by the ABC.

It seems to me that Jones cops more than his fair share of abuse from the Left - most worse than his comments about the PM's father. The hypocrisy of the Left is there for all to see - as long as you don't listen to the ABC!
Posted by NannaK, Friday, 5 October 2012 11:34:40 AM
The author and some posters above seem to imply that only Labor people are 'baiting' Alan Jones.
To my mind, it seems that everyone is upset at him at present, given he is just generally a nasty bloke on his radio station at times.

The Prime Minister, and any other intelligent person, would be upset at his comments regardless of where, and to whom they were made, surely?
The fact that it has become a political football is because he did insult the PM at a Liberal Party function, so Jones and his supporters have to expect this political fallout.

If some bigots of any political persuasion, choose to slag Jones off because of his alleged sexual orientation, then they should be dealt with severely by their own bosses.

I don't believe that the ABC is homophobic as a whole, but there will always be ignorant bigots in all organizations...
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 5 October 2012 11:56:01 AM
Me thinks the author is himself, being just a little bit precious and paranoid of reds under the bed; also contradictory to his usual antigay stance.
Posted by Kipp, Friday, 5 October 2012 1:03:18 PM
It's double double standards!

First based on the political leanings of the target of homophobia (Can you imagine Bob Brown being treated such), secondly on the much loved left critique of the right-leaning commentators as the homophobic ones.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 5 October 2012 2:17:35 PM
I guess this rant is just another exercise in describing the auhors dislike/contempt of/for the ABC. A dislike shared by many of those on the right side of the culture wars including the current editor of the IPA Review, and the culture warriors of Quadrant magazine.

Presuming that both radio and TV still have an important part to play in helping to create and sustain a citizenry that are well-informed about the Polis in which they live.
And that both mediums can and should provide means and vehicles for promoting and understanding the best of Western culture in particular, and world culture altogether (because we now live in an instantaneously globalized multi-cultural world which is HERE TO STAY), I would suggest that if the ABC were abolished and we were thus left with only the commercal media (radio & TV) to "inform" us then both radio and TV would become a literal wasteland.

Which is what commercal radio & TV already is. Big Brother "Reality" TV rules OK! While we are simultaneously Amusing our Selves To Death (Neil Postman)

Extending on from that if one relied on the contents of both the IPA Review and Quadrant magazine as sources of ones understanding of the world, one would also be very impoversished re ones capacity to live in the now quantum multi-cultural world of 2012 and beyond.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 5 October 2012 4:53:27 PM
The X factor, Reality TV and banal American tv promrammes are what the anti ABC want, then go for it.
Though remember lovers of commercial TV, every item you purchase has an advertising price costed into what ever you purchase.
Posted by Kipp, Friday, 5 October 2012 5:53:53 PM
We all miss the point.The left/right paradigm is a game used by the elites to confuse and control the masses.

Allan Jones today was praising Mitt Romney over Obama.Obama has balked at attacking Iran so the Zionist elites have thrown the might of their financial support behind Romney who will attack Iran.

Obama has expanded the wars of imperialism into Pakistan and Libya but has a personal dislike for Netanyahu.

There is very little difference between the two war mongering parties since they are both controlled by the banking,military industrial complex that Dwight Eisenhower warned us about many decades ago.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 5 October 2012 6:28:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The ABC...I'd not listen/watch the National Broadcaster on any matter associated with politics. Their bias is palpable to the extreme.

On Alan Jones and his somewhat intemperate remarks apropos the PM's deceased Father. Sure in poor taste, but then with the 'human headline' Mr Hinch's always so clever remarks...hypocrisy would be most apt with this peculiar fellow of double standards.

On a personal note. I'm a Veteran, a former client of the Vietnam Veterans Counselling Service, and I hit a bit of a hurdle about 18 - 20 years ago, and without going into the details, my 'plight' came to the notice of Alan Jones, and his kindness, patience, his very humanity, towards me was simply unfailing even inexhaustible !

Yet he doesn't even know me. Nor has he ever received any recognition for what he's done for me.

If I were to still rely on the VVCS, I'd have a very protracted wait ahead, regrettably.

In the past, because of my own ignorance, and probably, a lot to do with my employment (the coppers), I was very much a 'gay' basher (metaphorically). Alan Jones is gay, so what.

There should be many many more Gays like Alan, and many many less 'straight' men, like me.

I'd defend Alan Jones to the 'enth degree, I'll tell you.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 5 October 2012 6:51:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know Alan Jones is faggoty, the world knows it, and so the barbed queen jokes are no surprise even as distasteful as they are. Jones is a public figure that was homosexual from his first breath, so the attack on his sexuality probably does not daunt him greatly. I would surmise that the fact that the pendants go for the sexual shot rather than a shot at his credibility shows one that he has some substance.

Alan Jones is an old queen, he is particular, pedantic and fussy, and seems to have the strength of character that I have noted in some old queens that I have been fortunate enough to have known. It is as if their struggle in a pre gay rights society has made them tenacious outsiders who call a spade a spade.

Jones’ bitchy remark about Gillard’s dad was ignorant and insensitive. The ones lampooning him are less guilty of the crime of personal offense.
Posted by sonofgloin, Friday, 5 October 2012 6:54:01 PM
No, not a convincing article. Just doesn't reflect the reality of Australian public life.

For example, "loud attacks made by prominent left-wing atheists". Really? How loud? How often? For what reasons?

How do these compare with the frequency, stridency and sheer viciousness of loud attacks made by prominent right-wing commentators?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsaVpepMyA8

Secondly, Alan Jones' "apology". Are you referring to the 45-minute exercise in self-justification - satirised below?
(Don't click if strong language offends)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxJfs7mtW0

There may well be a case that Jones is a victim of homophobia. Not sure. But it hasn't been made here.
Posted by Alan Austin, Friday, 5 October 2012 7:06:48 PM
Hi Alan,

didn't you read Binoy's recent article on OLO and his gratuitious attack on Jones's sexuality?

'In April 2004, the Chairman of the Australian Broadcasting Authority, David Flint, was shown to have penned various gushing letters to Jones. (This, incidentally, made fellow shock jock John Laws suspicious – were the two having it off?) In 2004, Jones was cleared for other "cash-for-comment' related deals apparently made with Telstra, courtesy of Flint. The plot thickened just that little bit more.'

It seems such behaviour isn't limited to the ABC.

'
Posted by imajulianutter, Friday, 5 October 2012 9:43:22 PM
The following is a balanced comment. One section of the right-wing love to point out how Alan Jones is gay because they know that he gives gays a bad name. They are also suspicious of Alan Jones homosexuality mainly because he was arrested in a public lavatory in London's West End in 1988. But in saying that, the right-wing also likes to pretend that the toilet arrest did not happen, and secretly wish Alan Jones was not gay. So when the left mentions his toilet arrest, the right-wing reluctantly defends Alan Jones, because people like Tony Abbott often praise him. The left knows that Alan Jones intentionally down plays his homosexuality due to the fact his radio listeners are mostly socially conservative who generally vote for the Liberals or Nationals. So the left are gay-baiting him so that the world and his listeners can see how hard he is down playing his homosexuality. The left knows that conservative people who listen to his radio show are generally more anti-gay than left-wing people who vote for the ALP or the Greens. The left-wing love it when Alan Jones is caught out making thoughtless comments, as that makes the likes of Tony Abbott look silly associating with Jones. The left also likes to mention that Alan Jones is gay because they want conservatives to know that not all gays are left-wing. As the left believes that the right-wing paints a picture that only gays vote for the Greens or for the ALP party. So they use Jones as an example of someone who is socially conservative, yet openly gay. The left also knows that Alan Jones is influential, and are secretly terrified of his influence during election times. Finally the right and left both know that Alan Jones is due to retire soon, and it can't come soon enough for left-wing and right-wing people who want his show off the radio. Personally I have no sympathy for Alan Jones as he has a history of making silly comments on his radio show. It's the old saying "what goes around, comes around".
Posted by jason84, Saturday, 6 October 2012 12:58:36 AM
You really do have to feel sorry for the ABC & its people. It must be difficult to be so torn in different directions.

For the ABC, the most pro homosexual organisation [the place is full of them], in the country, to have to attack one, must be near giving them a collective psychosis.

It does show, however, just how far these lefties will go, when there is a chance of inflicting even a pin prick of damage to the Abbott.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 6 October 2012 11:43:18 AM
If a Gay strays off the "Progressive" plantation there is no end to the hate that will be spewed at them; just goes to show where the home of intolerance is.
Of course there is no end to the excuses for their ABC ranters, such as Marr, but then it's a Closed shop. Unfortunately for the inmates All now know its really a sheltered "shop".
Posted by McCackie, Saturday, 6 October 2012 2:18:16 PM
Agree mostly with Daffy. Thank God we do have an ABC and some balance! I think this subject ought to be closed, least we give it and Alan too much oxygen. I prefer the very dignified response of The PM, who refuses to comment? Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 6 October 2012 3:44:01 PM
years ago (last century) I listened to Mr. Jones occasionally. Mr Jones taught me to think ... and I thought, and I have never listened to his program since.

This it is about a nasty, vindictive, untrue remark made by a media bully. Why shouldn't he be called on to be responsible for his actions?? Maybe the ABC (tax payer funded) is only protecting Australians from this man.

I love the ABC and the freed we have. Protect me from people like Mr. Jones please.
Posted by mally, Monday, 8 October 2012 10:58:16 AM
Mally, what protection do you need, change the station. What we need is protection from their ABC, paying for it but having no representation for ordinary people. Its now proudly unrepresentitive, the sooner it's sold the better.
Posted by McCackie, Monday, 8 October 2012 11:28:25 AM
Infinitely more troubling than Jones' remarks,for which he has been crucified,are the reactions to them.

The left whingers,Friends of the ABC, feminists, mommy staters and others of similar ilk,smugly pride themselves on their tolerance,especially for favored minorities,such as gays.

Their reactions to Jones has been abysmally contradictory and shows their true colors.

Beneath their thin veneer of political correctness,lies a savage mob mentality baying for blood,similar to the mobs who recently went berserk in Libya.

As soon as an injustice is perceived to have been done-watch out-Hell has no fury like one of them being scorned.

To descend to snide comments about ones sexuality in any serious debate merely shows a complete lack of intellectual ability,demonstrates hidden homophobia and panders to the worst populist instincts of the mob.

Shame on them and good luck to a complete comeback for Alan!
Posted by mik, Monday, 8 October 2012 2:46:20 PM
mik,

Sorry to burst the bubble, but Mr oh-too-sure-of-himself Jones just overstepped the mark. Pure and simple.

The ensuing reaction has emanated from the entire political spectrum and is indicative of where "most" people draw the line as far as political sledging goes.
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:11:42 PM
Poirot,

What I am talking about, is the reaction to the comments,not the comments themselves.
Posted by mik, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:21:51 PM
mik,

You can't separate the comments from the reaction to them. Notwithstanding that the public like to see an arrogant personality receive his comeuppance.

It was the unacceptable nature of the comments that led to the furore - and the fact that his media conference was less of an "apology" and more of a "justification".
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:30:03 PM
Poirot,

Of course you can,as I have done!
Posted by mik, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:33:45 PM
mik,

"Cause and effect"
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:38:15 PM
Alan Jones is one of Australia's most hated man for a reason, so people who defend him might first want to check out his long history of colorful comments. Then you might understand why so many hate him with a passion.
Posted by jason84, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:40:41 PM
I reckon you can make a distinction.

Its one thing to refuse to listen to a show, another thing to refuse to buy products form sponsors of the show, another thing to let the company know why you're doing that, but another thing altogether to organize or contribute to a blacklisting of companies for the express purpose of revenge and to silence a voice in the community you don't agree with.

The first 3 I have no real problem with, actually the fourth I'm not too bothered with either, on the PROVISO that it's a little hypocritical to bang on with lefty ideals of freedom of speech and being anti censorship when it suits but partake in the censoring of the people you don't like with those very motives in the case of Jones.

People are being quite open in that they want rid of him, not so they don't have to listen to him, but so others don't have the opportunity.

I suppose motive is the key really.

I also find it distasteful that every enemy has come out of the woodwork to kick the guy when he's down. I prefer someone to take him on without the lynch mob not with this cowardly cheap shots we're seeing from the likes of Carlton and others. Not that Jones is above cheap shots, but it's the hypocrisy I don't like. Which is why I don't like Jones crying he's being bullied when he's made a career out of it.

Leisure Suit Larry was all class with Leigh Sales, refusing to play the game and rising above it.

He's the hero in all this, going on national TV with his gown and drink, serving it up wonderfully.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 8 October 2012 4:03:54 PM
I will re-quote again this guy too as I reckon he's summed up how I feel about it all...

'I don't like Alan Jones. I don't particularly like Mike Carlton either.
The reason I felt compelled to comment today is because Carlton's article on Jones is a perfect illustration of where the 'Left' go wrong when they come out swinging at someone like Jones.
A guy like Carlton is 100% convinced of his own superior intellect and therefore completely convinced that listeners of Jones are misguided. They are apparently " a mob, frightened and dumb." And therein lies the problem.
The Left's righteousness knows no humility whatsoever yet Carlton has the temerity to accuse Jones of intellectual snobbery?? Disagree with Carlton....well that's because you are stupid and ill-informed. Oh, if only the majority of the country were as intelligent as Carlton, the ABC, Gillard and the Greens. Oh the humanity. When will people learn??'

By some random called matt (I think) on the leftie Herald.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 8 October 2012 4:04:41 PM
All the uncalled for calls for Alan Jones' demise are so short sighted…

His only importance is to allow me the satisfaction of choosing to not listen to him and to ignore him utterly.

If he's not 'there', how will I manage to feel so superior so cheaply whilst at the same time enjoying the irony of so many Aussie battlers thinking they are well represented by a multi-millionaire?

Besides, it would lose the opportunity to rework old jokes: "When Alan Jones was born the doctor slapped his mother."
Posted by WmTrevor, Monday, 8 October 2012 4:53:06 PM
Alan Jones who so hates this government has, ironically played right into the hand of Julia (Pinnochio) Gillard with his crass remark by increasing public sympathy and support for her.
Posted by PIPIBEAU, Monday, 8 October 2012 10:35:34 PM
Gay-baiting is disgusting so why use this in attacking Alan Jones.
Sure his remark (and others he has made) are considered beyond the pale, but why bring this up? His comments are the subject not his sexual orientation.
He has given the left the opportunity to link him with the liberals in their disgusting (also) dirt thrown at Tony Abbott.
Shows the depths an insecure government will to .
Posted by PIPIBEAU, Monday, 8 October 2012 10:43:21 PM
Something that few liberal members and supporters seem to have woken up to is that there is a small group of so called liberals lead by Tony Abbott who really are the new Democratic Labour party. They have another agenda, church manipulation of government. Their religious masters tried this many years ago and all that they achieved was to keep Menzies and subsequent liberal PMs in power, fortunately, because we did enjoy stable government. The parrot can`t see this so I don`t hold that against him, just his blind stupidity. I would like to see all of the small L liberals denounce this dangerous group and expose them as church stooges.
Posted by mursheen, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 12:28:28 PM
Fair dinkum Mosheen! Do you really think the libs would tolerate being turned into latter day DLP
You never know who will be leader of either party by next election, anyway. Do you think that Malcolm Turnbull is a closet DLP follower?
DLP are history....don't be scared.
Posted by PIPIBEAU, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 3:41:43 PM
mursheen

the handbag brigade could actually do with going to church and learning a few morals. I doubt any church group could stoop as low as the current bunch who protect corrupt trade unionist, protect woman haters and lie constantly. If what you say is true (which I doubt) we would still be far better off to have a little honesty restored to the house.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 4:46:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy