The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Shale gas revolution shaking up the world > Comments

Shale gas revolution shaking up the world : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 4/10/2012

A United States that is self-sufficient in energy production has the potential to affect the globe’s geo-strategic balance, particularly with regard to the Middle East and Europe.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
My word Cheryl you did react like a snapping turtle. Did I touch a raw spot?
Not to worry it will not stop you from aggressively attacking anything that does not conform to your ideas
I think that you should study confirmation bias.
It refers to a type of selective thinking whereby one tends to notice and to look for what confirms one's beliefs, and to ignore, not look for, or undervalue the relevance of what contradicts one's beliefs.

This tendency to give more attention and weight to data that support our beliefs than we do to contrary data is especially pernicious when our beliefs are little more than prejudices. If our beliefs are firmly established on solid evidence and valid confirmatory experiments, the tendency to give more attention and weight to data that fit with our beliefs should not lead us astray as a rule. Of course, if we become blinded to evidence truly refuting a favoured hypothesis, we have crossed the line from reasonableness to closed-mindedness.
Posted by Robert LePage, Saturday, 6 October 2012 1:37:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As much as I admire so many of the comments above, the reality is somewhat different.

Have a read of this: http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2012-10-05/new-%E2%80%9Cgolden-age-oil%E2%80%9D-wasn%E2%80%99t

One does not need to be a geologist, environmentalist, oceanographer, biologist, economist or any other 'ist' to see the reality.

We are on the peaking slope of 'cheap energy', it matters not what you want, but what you have access to...

The day's of cheap energy are over, we are in a permanent state of economic contraction, due primarily to more and more expensive energy costs, you can put all the brightest economists in the world in one room and until they grasp this simple truth, the light will not come on.

Cheap and I repeat "CHEAP" energy is the key to our future, a lack of understaning on this issue is critical.

It matters not on reserves, the amount of a potential field, the cost of extraction, it is all about the "RATE" that one can produce.

Show me something different and I will change my thought pattern.

Over to you all, and not expecting much response to reality

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Monday, 8 October 2012 10:23:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy