The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No gold at the end of the rainbow > Comments

No gold at the end of the rainbow : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 24/8/2012

South Africa is a beautiful country with dreadful politics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Factual error: Chris Hani was assassinated by rogue rightwing extremists. His was not an example of 'state sanctioned violence'. His murder happened at a very inopportune moment for the regime at the time.
Posted by Willem, Friday, 24 August 2012 10:48:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sounds like par for the course to me.

Just in passing Bruce, would you like to try to name a single country which has not descended into huge corruption, when ever the local population has taken over government from a colonial power or a government descended from a colonial power.

It doesn't matter where you look, Africa, Asia, the Pacific or the middle east, the bottom end of the population are always much worse off when governed by their own elites.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 24 August 2012 11:16:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, same script, different actors. I wonder if there's a SA version of Robert Mugabe waiting for the right moment to save the country from democracy.
Posted by mac, Friday, 24 August 2012 2:38:21 PM
Hasbeen writes

>>It doesn't matter where you look, Africa, Asia, the Pacific or the middle east, the bottom end of the population are always much worse off when governed by their own elites.>>

Freed from Japanese rule South Korea has become a modern, affluent nation.

Indonesia after Dutch rule is making progress as is Sri Lanka after British rule. I would say that in both cases the majority of the population are much better off than they were under colonial rule.

For all its problems Malaysians are definitely better off than they were under British rule.

India is a "work in progress." I think most people are better off but the price is high for many?

The one sub-Saharan African country that has leaped ahead is Botswana. In my view it's first president, Seretse Khama, is a better model for Africa than that much bally-hooed friend of Gadaffai, Nelson Mandela.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 24 August 2012 4:29:47 PM
Well its just a case of " I told you so". Its been made clear to
whites that it is now a black man's continent, so those whites remaining,
do so at their peril. Those with qualifications have a choice, those
without, generally don't. The smarts so all this coming, so left
years ago.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 25 August 2012 11:29:26 AM
Yabby wrote:

>>Those with qualifications have a choice, >>

And increasingly those with suitable qualifications are exercising that choice irregardless of skin colour.

What we are seeing in South Africa is not "white flight" but "skills flight."
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Saturday, 25 August 2012 11:55:34 AM
Bruce Haigh....Only one poison I see, and that's capitalism. To run with a planet at this ridiculous donkey before the carrot, is the very sad BLANK of human nature...Greed is the new 21 century affliction. Now to pray on the lesser, is quite normal.

Bruce, the human race will drill this planet into the ground and with the demise of its own self righteous stupidity and the TOP species we are.

Time for thinking me thinks:)

Planet
Posted by PLANET3, Sunday, 26 August 2012 9:35:00 PM
In a recent editorial writer David Hill was strident in his criticism of the South African government, referring to it as an “ineptocracy”:

"Consider that South Africa is the only country in the world where affirmative action policy favours a majority who also happens to have complete political control….In the end something has got to give as no economy can bear 20 million people supporting 50 million people."

But the word “inept” might still be a tad light. Following a spate of deaths from lightning in the province of Natal, Nomsa Dube of the Provincial Executive Council promptly called on the National Department of Science and Technology to investigate what causes lightning:

"We will do an investigation and talk to the department of science and technology on what is the cause of the lightning, and if it only happened to the previously disadvantaged, as I have never seen any white people being struck by lightning."

http://takimag.com/article/a_great_south_african_a_horrible_south_africa_hannes_wessels/#axzz24f9fhwRh

The above quote shows why there is little hope for South Africa.

Given that white South Africans are not only being bled dry economically but also murdered at an alarming rate, it is hardly surprising that many are deciding to pack their bags and leave for Australia and elsewhere.
Posted by drab, Monday, 27 August 2012 12:45:59 AM
Drab:

Well here is Representative Michele Bachmann, a former Republican candidate, on the swine flu outbreak of 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4W045c0UI

And then we have Republican senate candidate Todd Akin's statement about "legitimate" rapes not resulting in pregnancies.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Akin-rape-remark-haunts-GOP-in-tinder-box-Virginia-3816312.php

There is no biological basis for Akin's statement.

It's not only in South Africa that legislators have weird ideas.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 27 August 2012 8:06:15 AM
Yes, Bachmann and Akin made obtuse remarks but Nomsa Dube's comments were something else. They reveal not only a shocking level of ignorance but also an anti-white racial animus all too common in that part of the world.

As I said, it is hardly surprising that so many white South Africans are emigrating.
Posted by drab, Monday, 27 August 2012 10:59:42 PM
drab,

There are reports of Mugabe style pressure, some of it lethal, on White farmers in SA, to leave their farms.
Posted by mac, Tuesday, 28 August 2012 7:26:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy