The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Back door' boat arrivals: Tony Abbott's claims about Christianity > Comments

'Back door' boat arrivals: Tony Abbott's claims about Christianity : Comments

By Mitchell Landrigan, published 26/7/2012

Tony Abbott doesn't think boat arrivals are Christian, but how does he shape up?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I don't have a problem with Christianity or with Jesus.
It's the members of His Fan Club that cause all the problems.

It's not what they say, it's what they do and the loudest and most self-righteous are the ones to worry about.

Abbott is just playing the game on several levels, including using the "dog-whistle" technique that has served him so well in the past.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 26 July 2012 1:47:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Landrigan cites the New Testament. The comparison of a person's acts with those of Jesus will generally act to the person's discredit. Perhaps that is an unrasonable way to judge Tony Abbott or anybody else, but that is a Christian way of judgment. They might ask, "What would Jesus do?" The answer is, "Probably much better than you."

Judaism recognises that a fairer comparison is judging a person on the basis of the capabilities of that person. The Hasidic rabbi, Reb Zosya, said, "When I am called before the Almighty he will not ask me, "Why are you not like Moses?" He will ask, "Why are you not like Zosya?"

Only the Almighty knows what Zosya or Tony Abbott is capable of. Although I have judged Abbott harshly he might have been doing all that he is capable of.

The New Testament speaks to this:

Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Perhaps Abbott is doing all that Abbott can do. I don't know what is in his mind, what he is capable of or what I would do if I were in his place. To judge his actions is one thing. To judge him as a person is another. I don't like his actions, but he may be a decent person.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 26 July 2012 2:01:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>but he may be a decent person.<<

He's not actually a person at all. As Matthew 25:33-46 makes quite clear the Mad Monk is a goat:

Matthew 25: 33-46 (KJV)

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Posted by Tony Lavis, Thursday, 26 July 2012 3:30:45 PM
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

So it looks like it's everlasting punishment for poor old Tony. I'd consider eternity in the lake of fire too high a price to pay for winning over a few xenophobic voters if I was hell-fearing Christian politician. I guess Mr. Abbott just values power in this world more highly than the fate of his immortal soul. A bit like Faust but not as cool.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Thursday, 26 July 2012 3:35:46 PM
and yes I suppose Abbotts detractors think it is very compassionate to ignore the thousands waiting for years in refugee camps in order to allow those who have paid people smugglers and then thrown id overboard first bite at the cherry. The left are experts at misrepresentation.It is also compassionate to encourage people to their death as the current PM has done. I suppose Abbotts work among the indigeneous on his leave is somehow uncompassionate. It is sickening to listen to those on the left demonising a man because he disagrees with their dogmas. It just so happens the majority of Australians agree with Abbott. I suppose that also makes them uncompassionate also.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 July 2012 3:55:34 PM
runner,

The majority of Australians are insular and xenophobic - and Mr Abbott knows that.

For Mr Abbott to invoke Christian morality to push his own political barrow is disgraceful - especially when referring to people in desperate straits
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 26 July 2012 4:16:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy