The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is the USA in 'irreversible decline'? > Comments

Is the USA in 'irreversible decline'? : Comments

By Steven Meyer, published 17/7/2012

Are the American haters engaging in wishful thinking when they deliver pronouncements on the role of the US in world politics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All
YERBIGA,

First, Greco-Roman cultural traditions survived the disappearance of the Western Empire and were not confined to that Empire, ever heard of the Eastern empire? As to the disappearance of Greco-Roman Culture, what alphabet do we use, which language was Europe's lingua franca until a few generations ago? Which language is the ancestor of the modern romance languages? How much of Roman legal doctrine survives in continental Europe? I never once claimed that Greco-Roman civilisation survived entirely, even during the period of the imperium, civilisation was changing.
The Dark Ages were originally designated "Dark" because of the lack of historical records, not because darkness descended over Europe, people read too much into the name.

csteele,

"Do you really endorse this rubbish?"

No, I don't, I meant to reference J J Norwich, after I saw the email, I couldn't believe that I'd referenced O'Neill's book. I could claim a senior's moment, however the real reason was too much butterscotch schnapps. Sober, I still think Josephh Hogarty's podcast "Europe: from its Origins" is worth a look. Jeeez.
Posted by mac, Wednesday, 25 July 2012 10:40:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear mac,

Don't sweat it mate, happens to all of us. I try not to post after a good Cab-Sav.

I will have a look at Hogarty when I get the time. I do acknowledge even real historians are human beings too and are not above a tinge of revisionism to sharpen sales. The best we can hope to do is to try and filter out the most obviously afflicted.
Posted by csteele, Friday, 27 July 2012 1:03:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy