The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Non-therapeutic circumcision of minors: a legal and ethical minefield > Comments

Non-therapeutic circumcision of minors: a legal and ethical minefield : Comments

By Robert Darby, published 9/7/2012

Medically unnecessary circumcision of male infants and boys is morally wrong and sufficiently harmful to warrant intervention by the state.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Like many men my age, indeed most of the footy team I played with years ago, I was circumcised as an infant. I have suffered no negative physical or psychological effects. I have fathered children and led a happy, fulfilling sex life.

My parents had me circumcised on the advice of their local doctor and I have never had any reason to regret their decision. This is not a matter for the state. It is a matter for parents. Leave us alone.
Posted by Senior Victorian, Monday, 9 July 2012 12:21:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The responsibilty of parents is to protect and nurture the children, they have no right of ownership of the children; to inflict any form of physical abuse or personal ideology on the children.
Posted by Kipp, Monday, 9 July 2012 1:04:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Infection is usually caused by unhygienic practices. A father who has been circumcised does NOT know how to care for an uncircumcised penis. A mother has even less of a clue. Circumcisions can leave issues with gland sensitivity and erectile deformations. Which in latter life can lead to increases in erectile dysfunction. This cause and effect of erectile dysfunction in latter life has never been fully studied. I know as I've suffered a problematic circumcision obtained at birth in a Hospital.
Both my sons have NOT been circumcised are now in the latter 20's and neither have had any issues. As I went to great pains to learn how to properly care for an uncircumcised penis. Which I in turn taught my boys.
Why carry on this abuse of boys. Surely they have rights or are they supposed to shut up and be a "brave little soldier". Do boys have less legal rights then girls? I think so...
Posted by JustGiveMeALLTheFacts, Monday, 9 July 2012 1:41:34 PM
Circumcision is not child abuse, any more than making him eat his vegetables, and a lot less than subjecting him to "natural" medicine. If as shown by studies that a circumcised child has lower risk of infection or other penis related issues, then the choice of circumcision by a qualified medical practitioner or no circumcision is entirely their decision.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 9 July 2012 1:51:20 PM
Great article Robert.

@Shadow Minister: what you do to YOUR fingers (fingernails?) every week has nothing to do with the question here, which has to do with something done to OTHERS without their consent. Also your fingernails grow back.

Helen
Posted by isabelberners, Monday, 9 July 2012 2:16:10 PM
Helen,

Get some perspective. This issue is about a small flap of skin. We are not cutting off an ear.

Putting aside the operation itself, the circumcised penis has health benefits not only for the man, but his partner too. A source of infection inside the vagina is a common source of thrush etc, and if anything improves the sexual experience.

As far as the operation is concerned, modern techniques using a plastic tube? over which the foreskin is pulled and cut protects the penis and reduces the pain, and has almost zero risk.

My son was circumcised using a topical anaesthetic cream, and this was done while I distracted him. I saw no sign that he even noticed.

The argument about consent is one of the most fatuous I have heard because:
1) Performing a circumcision later in life is significantly more risky and painful. It is like suggesting that a woman waits 12 months to weigh up her decision before pregnancy termination.
2) With the low risks and health benefits while it is entirely in the purview of a parent to make the decision as there is no long term harm. There are many decisions the parents have to make for the child without its permission.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 9 July 2012 4:10:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy