The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The mother tongue > Comments

The mother tongue : Comments

By Rebecca Simpson, published 4/7/2012

English has made its native speakers linguistically lazy as well as colonising the rest of the world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Hello Rebecca. It is good to see students writing articles on OLO.

<< The key is to make foreign language studies mandatory from an early age in Australia similar to the European or Asian countries that have made English a compulsory language. >>

Yes and no.

Actually, no and yes!

No, I don’t think it is a good idea to make a foreign language mandatory at school, in English-speaking countries.

But yes it is certainly a good idea for NES or ESL (Non-English-speaking or English as a second-language) countries to make English compulsory.

The key point is that English is now the global language. So it is a very good idea for it to be taught everywhere, in all countries around the world.

As for a second language in English-speaking countries, I feel that it should be entirely voluntary.

The benefits are not significant enough to render it compulsory. Whereas the benefits ARE significant enough in NES/ESL countries.

Multilingualism in English-speaking countries may well have some cognitive and communicative advantages. But compelling kids to learn stuff that they may not want to learn can have negative spin-offs. They should be free to learn whatever takes their interest, in this regard, so that they may follow their chosen or natural path in life, and not be hamstrung by having to learn stuff that they may not be interested in. Of course, other areas of education do need to be compulsory, such as English, maths, science, geography, etc.

If they spend their time and their intellectual capital learning what they want to learn, beyond the standard subjects of English, etc, then the benefits to them, and to society overall, will be greater than forcing a second language upon them.

Also, is it not more important to learn English really well than being forced to spend one’s time trying to get a below-average hold on a second language, which they may use very little in their everyday lives?

Each to their own. Freedom of choice. There should be no compulsion in this area of education.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 8:45:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having 400 different languages resulted from the physical separation of populations of the old world. We really don't need that now. Having one language which most people can speak is a great advantage. Learning a second language is an interesting thing to do, But necessary? I hope not.
Posted by Atman, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 9:46:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rebecca, thank you for an interesting contribution, although I accept that I am biased towards your suggestion, because I am an improving student and speaker of Mandarin.
To me, the benefits of multi-linguism are worthwhile, even if they may not be apparent during the early learning stages at school.
Here I take a mild exception to Ludwig's assertion that children ought not be taught material in which they are not interested.
In life, there are many things which we must, or should, learn ,and in which we may not have an interest.
But I feel that the learning of additional languages has a tangible benefit in understanding the syntax of English better. I found this glaringly obvious at high school where I took up studies of French, Latin, and a little German. Latin was an enormous aid to my understanding of the "rules' and grammar of English,as it is the root of so much of it.
Being able to speak the language of countries with which we have close cultural or trading associations, is still a real value, despite English's widespread use an acceptance around the world.
Also, it's fun to be able to speak another language - Zaijian!
Posted by Ponder, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 10:12:59 AM
While it is nice (& highly PC) to know a number of languages –and as Ludwig said it may have some cognitive benefits.We would be much better served to direct the funding into maths & science.

If you know the buyers language it is impressive --but if you have better technology/expertise they will be even more impressed.

“Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door”: Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted by SPQR, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 10:40:08 AM
Yes, I'd agree that learning a foreign language is an aid to understanding the grammar of one's native tongue. It broadens horizons in general.

There are numerous subjects taught in most curricula that would be rubbed out according to a child's individual preferences. If LOTE is voluntary, it would not be taken up at primary school level in most cases. Most subjects can be boring when delivered in a boring way, Languages like anything else can be made interesting and relevant.

In Western Australia, a language other than English is already part of the curriculum in primary school. As a homeschooler who wishes she'd taken more of an interest in a foreign language at a younger age, we do French, although I'm inclined to switch to Latin simply for the breadth contained therein as the root to much of Western literature, culture and development, not to mention it's the basis of many words in English.

I sponsor an Ethiopian girl and she is required to learn three languages - her local dialect, the national language of her country and English.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 10:41:40 AM
<< Here I take a mild exception to Ludwig's assertion that children ought not be taught material in which they are not interested. In life, there are many things which we must, or should, learn ,and in which we may not have an interest. >>

Ponder, I acknowledged that some subjects should be compulsory and I would think clearly explained why I think learning a second language in English-speaking countries should not be included amongst them.

I am very pleased to have not been burdened with learning a second language, but instead to have been free to concentrate on science and later to study my natural subject of botany.

This has had a big spin-off in etymological terms, as it has taught me a great deal of Latin and Greek derivatives, which abound in the scientific names and anatomy of plants and animals.

I was burdened with the subject of scripture at school, to a limited extent. I hated it and did very poorly at it, while doing very well at English and the other core subjects.

I’m sure the same would have been the case if I’d been required to learn French or Mandarin or whatever.

One of the big problems with compulsory subject matter is that we are all different and a portion of kids would just do very poorly through lack of interest, if not rebel completely.

We see enough of this in the core subjects. But of course, core subject are fundamentally necessary and should be compulsory.

Let's not compound this problem by making some non-core subjects compulsory.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 11:00:05 AM
Rebecca, a good thought-provoking article on this important subject. It's good to see someone in your age-bracket putting forward constructive views. Warren Reed.
Posted by Warren Reed, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 11:06:01 AM
I am all for learning another language - I dropped my french at school when I could and have regreted it on a number of occasions, particularly when travelling in Africa...as it is I have learnt an awful lot during travel and can now get by.

I also think it is short-sighted to concentrate on what is just useful - life is about so much more than what is useful - there needs to be 'colour and texture' - and for some people languages can provide this.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 12:56:06 PM
All languages, without exception contain and enforce certain presumptions about the nature of reality. What we are as human beings, our relationships to each other, and thus our relationship to the natural world. Which is to say that all languages subltely condition, pattern, and even brain-wash our brains and nervous systems to see the world in a particular way. And to systematically eliminate other possibilities or ways of seeing/perceiving the world.

There are for instance profound taboos against anything to with psychic or mystical phenomenon.

English, especially in its modern form, is an entirely secular language which subtlely conditions and patterns our brains and nervous to believe/perceive that reality is entirely objective to us or only "out there". That we are all separate from one another, from the World Process altogether, and of course from the Living Divine Reality.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 1:03:48 PM
To learn another language & especially if english is your mother tongue is vital for the west's survival. I rather like the idea of being able to understand when we get called names in another language with a smiling face. Being able to understand means it's harder for someone else to pull the wool over your eyes, something that's been happening here for far too long.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 6:01:48 PM
individual,

I think that's a sad attitude. Surely sharing and learning and trading has been a feature of human development throughout history. No culture is without the influence of other cultures.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 8:02:54 PM
absolutely! give all australian children - all students in australia - the opportunity of learning at least one language in addition to english. primary school is just the place to make it compulsory - not for 40% a'la the leader of the opposition, but for 100%. 60% of school students must not miss out on this important way of learning to communicate in english as well as another/other languages. probably the majority of people in the world are at least bi-lingual - apart from australians, people from north america, and those from the united kingdom. truly a tragedy for all those who speak one language only. english is not enough.

thank you for this article which i am immediately sharing to facebook!
Posted by jocelynne, Thursday, 5 July 2012 1:11:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
sharing and learning
Poirot,
Yes, and yes it is sad that we now have to be so on the ball with everything we do & divulge. The romantic notion of sharing has gone to the dogs a generation ago. It now is demand & take. It's not visiting & learning then taking the experience home, it's staying on & imposing your will unto your involuntary hosts. Sad but true & far too many aren't willing to put a stop to this trend. if you keep your head in the sand long enough you'll soon feel the effects on the other end. Too late then. As they say you can not be just a little bit pregnant.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 July 2012 7:31:04 AM
individual,

"....it now is demand and take. It's not visiting and learning then taking the experience home. It's staying on & imposing your will unto your involuntary hosts..."

I do take your point, but I can't help but note the irony of your words. After all, this country was founded by a people who excelled at doing precisely that which you describe above, not only to the indigenous of this land, but all along their "trading" routes - America, India, etc.

Funny how what goes around comes around....
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 5 July 2012 8:21:21 AM
in earlier post, i ought to have noted that some (many) austrlaians, persons from north america and from the united kingdom have more than english as a language - generally those sufficiently fortunate to have non-english speaking background, including many native americans/canadians and indigenous australians who have managed to preserve/learn/hold on to their language - and those of us sufficiently fortunate to learn a language at school (or university).
Posted by jocelynne, Thursday, 5 July 2012 7:05:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Funny how what goes around comes around....
Poirot,
That's just simple cliché, in reality the westerners have exploited opportunities & have given back & provided by way of compensation. Even more worth considering is the fact that much of the west has realised the early errors & wrong doings. The new wannabe conquerors do not have a single ounce of compassion. That Poirot, is the fundamental difference between fundamentalists & the majority of western good will.
Where the west is now failing is that compassion borne of guilt is blinding reality.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 July 2012 9:04:17 PM
individual,

The West has been stomping around the globe for yonks intimidating and subduing the locals for gain. Contrary to your post, the IMf and the World Bank have been continuing the practice on behalf of Western corporate interests right up to the present day.

Egypt was the World Bank's "top reformer" during last decade, but it doesn't seem to have improved the life of the general population of that country - it was never meant to.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 5 July 2012 9:37:54 PM
doesn't seem to have improved the life of the general population of that country
Poirot,
Exactly, how many in Egypt are western ? Do you now see what Australia has to look forward to if the flow is not stopped ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:59:26 PM
individual,

My point being that organisations like the IMF and the World Bank are more than happy to jump into bed with corrupt regimes to further line the pockets of the world's corporate elite - at the expense of ordinary people in less developed countries.

I was responding to your assertion that the good ol' West had got over it's penchant for exploiting developing countries. Perhaps if the World Bank had actually worked to improve the lot of the general population in Egypt, things would not have become so dire - same goes for other developing economies.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 5 July 2012 11:28:44 PM
I understand a reasonable amount of an indigenous language & now wish I hadn't been put off learning more when indigenous people told me what do want to f.....g know for after asking what certain words meant.
I understand enough though to realise the names people are being called even though they only want to help. it would certainly change a lot if more people knew what's thought of them by those they want to help. They'd certainly refrain from putting in the effort they do.
Posted by individual, Friday, 6 July 2012 7:49:37 AM
What ? No flak ? Wasn't I racist enough or did I hit a nerve ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 8 July 2012 1:48:31 PM
I have no doubt that having a second language is a good thing.
If I may relate an experience I had years ago it does show the big problem.
I was in an hotel in London and planning a trip to Italy via France
Germany, and Switzerland.
A Frenchman at the hotel asked what language I spoke. I replied only
English. He seemed startled, "only English !".

So I pointed out to him, that from our point of view which language
would you choose ? He replied French of course and perhaps German.
What would I use in Italy ? umm umm was the reply.
It takes so long to learn a language that when you invest all that
time and spend just three days in that country, and then find that
the locals speak English and find it easier to switch to English.
I had one year of French at school and even that helped a lot as I
found that at least greeting the person in their language helps.

As a one time student of Esperanto I found it did help with grammar a bit.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 9 July 2012 12:03:24 PM
We are all fluent with our mother tongues and it doesn’t hurt to get another or more tongues.
Posted by Liz Henderson, Tuesday, 17 July 2012 9:29:45 PM
To add if someone decides to migrate to another country it is important that people learn that new country's language. For example, new migrants should be asked to pass basic English literacy tests before settling in Australia. And same if English speaking people migrate to Japan for instance then they should be able to speak Japanese at least the basics. Otherwise languages and possibly cultures will be lost.
Posted by Liz Henderson, Tuesday, 17 July 2012 9:35:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy