The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Julian Assange: the price of being a Western dissident > Comments

Julian Assange: the price of being a Western dissident : Comments

By Wei Ling Chua, published 19/6/2012

The West claims to be open, but judged on the test of Assange, this seem illusory.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Hi, Joe,
you may know that Assange has been under house arrest for many months, kept there by the British Government under instructions/pressure from the Swedish authorities.

You may know that Sweden and the U.S. have special legal arrangements. You may also know that many U.S. officials and parliamentarians have called for Assange, an Australian citizen, to be shot, hunted down, etc.

You use the analogy of a Chinese citizen revealing Chinese State secrets. Obviously, Assange is not an American citizen so your analogy is ridiculous and misleading.

Get a grip! The guilty party is the U.S., a nation which hates the ugly truth about itself to be revealed and wants to shoot the messenger.

Cheers.
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 19 June 2012 8:28:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm confused Fredrick

Are you saying Assange is an anti-Semite or something?

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 19 June 2012 10:42:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Assange has attempted to evade Swedish and international legal systems by escaping to the ECUADORIAN EMBASSY in London.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18514726 Ecuador is studying and analysing the request.

"Swedish prosecutors want to question him over allegations of rape and sexual assault made by two female former Wikileaks volunteers in mid-2010 but have not filed any charges."

I think Assange (like German criminals of the past) should be permitted to escape to Latin America.

I'll tell those interested why later :)

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 10:35:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David,

Well, when the US shoots the messenger, I'll take some notice. So far, what ?

But yes, people don't seem to realise that Assange is entitled to do things that might get other people into trouble, after all he's a hero.

So this piddly charge of raping a couple of women, Swedish women probably (and who says they aren't used to it ? Gagging for it ?) is obviously just one way, with the connivance of their Swedish lickspittles, that the evil US will get to him.

When they get around to it :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 11:01:19 AM
My personal feelings regarding Assange are rather negative. I think Wikileaks was a wonderful organization with a lot of potential, and I'd like to point out at this juncture that the original founders kept it anonymous. They were a group of dissidents - including Chinese dissidents - who wanted to expose classified information where it could do good.

A noble goal indeed. It's a shame Assange made it all about himself, to the point where he alienated all of the other staff.

Staff who managed to keep it about the issue, instead of all about them. This was as much for the organization's protection as anything else. Fortunately, they haven't given up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8193127/WikiLeaks-ex-WikiLeaks-staff-to-launch-rival-site.html

David G, it would be great to have Assange as the true hero you make him out to be. It would fit into these narratives, nicely and neatly.

Unfortunately, our personal narratives or feelings have no bearing on this.

The fact of the matter is, he has been accused of rape by two women

Neither you nor I are in any position to say whether these claims are true or not. There has been no trial yet.

So there is no possible way we can logically say whether he's right or wrong here. We can only spout what we want to believe.

Get a grip.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 6:30:51 PM
I quite enjoyed reading this article by Wei Ling Chua

However, what is a “weapon smugger” (about ¾ of the way down)?

And two paragraphs later, it says that there will be “forces that determine his faith.” I didn’t realise that Assange’s religion had anything to do with this.

Loudmouth,
You say that Wei Ling Chua is Chinese. Are you sure about that? Is he/she perhaps an Australian with a Chinese name and you are just making unfounded assumptions? I am an Australian though having a foreign surname because my parents left their country of birth because of injustices and discrimination there.

You ask what crime has Assange being charged with. I understand that he is now being charged in the UK with breaking his bail requirements by not sleeping at a designated address.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Friday, 22 June 2012 9:43:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy