The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is the problem Facebook? Guns, sport and macho mentality > Comments

Is the problem Facebook? Guns, sport and macho mentality : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 13/6/2012

Guns and shooting as a means of ‘team bonding’ may well raise questions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
This episode finally killed my faith in Australian media. It is a joke. A REALLY bad one. I'm ashamed and embarrassed at the reaction to this photo.

Men AND women have hunted since the dawn of time. Grow up you ridiculous people. You're an embarrassment.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 7:23:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houe,
You have it right, the author has tried to blow it into a men verses women feminist episode.

The reality is that the anti gun mob just used the pic to push their cause and a gullible media beat it up. Then the idiots at the AOC decided to punish the blokes about absolutely nothing. Claiming the blokes put the sport in disrepute, what rubbish!

The AOC now has egg all over their faces after it was revealed that swimmers from the AIS had a bonding session at a Canberra gun range, which included firing guns, not just holding them.

The best the AOC can now come up with is they did not like the way the blokes were holding the guns. How pathetic.

Nit picking idiots, AOC world wide laughing stock.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 10:39:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Firstly I read Ms Scutts article - twice - and still can't follow her logic. Secondly - so what if 2 young men posed with firearms in a USA gunshop? Did they do anything illegal? NO. Immoral? I don't think so. I tend to agree with the poster who remarks on the stupidity of the media and the kneejerk reaction of some people who ought to have more intelligence.

Also Ms Scutt quotes old statistics - which I do not dispute. However she does not touch on more recent history of firearm related violence, which at the rate it is being reported, is surely on the rise. Nor does she reveal that the vast majority of firearm deaths quoted were indeed suicides, > 75% I believe, and of the remaining 25% quite a few accidental deaths. It was a large drop in the incidence of suicide by gunshot that dropped the stats by nearly half in the years following John Howards gun control reforms. Whether this had any impact on rates of suicide or whether desperate souls simply chose another method to off themselves, don't know, haven't searched the stats. Maybe later ...

Firearms are not the 'devil'. Bad and or irresponsible people with guns are. The rest of us who have firearms for occupational or sporting purposes, all registered and above board, are sometimes made to feel like criminals for daring to own them. HELLO - we're not. But there is a thriving market out there in illegal weapons driven by criminal gangs which our laws and police force seem to find increasingly difficult to control. Possibly because police resources get used up by BS like checks on legit gun owners? Some people ought to wake up to themselves and find a few REAL issues to tackle.
Posted by divine_msn, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 11:18:10 PM
The phrase 'storm in a teacup' springs to mind. Slow opinion day Graham?

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Thursday, 14 June 2012 1:01:20 AM
The biggest offenders are our own Govts.One million dead Iraqis.US backed Pol Pot 3 million.Russian revolution 20 million,China 60 million,180 million during WW2 and we are still counting.

Take the weapons away from our Govts and we will have peace.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 14 June 2012 7:17:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spot On Houellie, Rhrosty, Stg, Banjo, Divine and Tony.
This article is a total beat-up, and a blatantly opportunistic attempt to draw fantasmagorical relevance to women's rights and gun control hysteria. Imagination and shadow-chasing run riot. To the waste bin, foul Spot, and cower in shame!

All the same, one point I would have to agree with:
>>..‘to ensure that anyone with a history of domestic abuse is denied access to a firearm, and has their license revoked’.<<
This is a sound and worthy objective (and Nick D'Arcy could be a contender?). I would be inclined to go further, however, and suggest that such individuals should also have restrictions placed on their access to spouses/partners and children. However, that is really another matter.

As for Olympic shooting sports, I would be surprised if many of the individuals involved ever took a shot at anything more vulnerable than a piece of paper or an empty tin can. Shooting sports are a legitimate pastime - and a serious sport for the gifted few and the many hopefuls - and all the individuals involved, either seriously or as a pastime or leisure pursuit, would have a very healthy respect for firearms and the dangers they can pose in the wrong hands or when taken lightly. Lock up your women if you must, but always make sure your firearm is stored safely and securely! (Water pistols exempted.)

Also, does Jocelynne not realise that there are quite a few women involved in shooting sports (including some active hunters, I would presume)? Might they be in danger of growing humungous biceps or unsightly chest hair? Or should we 'boys' perhaps be quaking in our boots?

Nick and Kenrick should show better common sense of course, but then athletes are not necessarily known for the mental prowess, are they? (No disrespect intended to the graduates, masters and PhD's among them of course.)

David f, as for Aus not actively supporting our athletes, I think that horse has well and truly bolted.
Posted by Saltpetre, Thursday, 14 June 2012 5:18:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy