The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When freedom of speech means only one opinion is allowed > Comments

When freedom of speech means only one opinion is allowed : Comments

By Mary Broadsmith, published 7/6/2012

Universities are determined to impose tolerance.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Good article; and in the new age of Finkelsteinian censorship, timely.

These events at Sydney University confirm my suspicion that the voting age should be lifted to 25.
Posted by cohenite, Thursday, 7 June 2012 5:41:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good ol’ Bugsy (as one-eyed as usual)

<< they now have a student-funded society that was formed for the active promotion of anti-abortion literature and viewpoints… some students had the hide to say that they didn't want their union fees spent on such an exercise>>

How dared they, indeed!

Except maybe for the *inconvenient* fact that Sydney Uni has had “student-funded” societies whose core ideals include easy abortion, for near on three decades now.
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 8 June 2012 6:57:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SPQR, I'm guessing those student societies at Sydney Uni "whose core ideals include easy abortion" must include:

Catholic Asian Students Society [CASS]
Catholic Society of St. Peter [SSP]
Chinese Christian Fellowship [CCF]
Christian Students Uniting [CSU]
Conservatorium Christian Group [CCG]
Evangelical Union [EU]
Fellowship of Orthodox Christian University Students [FOCUS]
Hillsong Campus
Mandarin Bible Study [MBS]
Orthodox Fellowship [SUOF]
Overseas Christian Fellowship [SUOCF]
Student Life

Oh no, these guys don't represent the pro-lifer viewpoint at all, how inconvenient. You need a student society specifically for that purpose to counter the one specifically set up for promoting easy abortion and euthanasia. Which one was that again?

I'm sorry, but my one eye was twitching again and I couldn't find it.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 8 June 2012 9:53:43 AM
@Bugsy,

No. I was thinking more of this:

“Since 2007, SUPRA has relied solely upon the University of Sydney to fund its much-needed advocacy, legal, representation and other student services” &#8232;
http://www.supra.usyd.edu.au/article.php?id=39

And here are some of the “advocacy, legal, representation and other student services” the SUPRA runs:

“Join one of the SRC’s collectives, which campaign and provide space and resources to student communities. These include:
- Education Action Group
- Environment Collective
- Women’s Collective
- Queer Collective
- Anti-Racism Collective
- Indigenous Collective “
And, Honi Soit, (which is 5,000kms left of Bob Brown).

And this is one of the SUPRA’s (tolerant/even handed) spokespersons talking about the prolife group:
“This (group) is discriminatory to women and an affront to women's rights - they are politicising women's bodies,"
http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/student-union-to-fund-antiabortion-group-20120606-1zwf0.html

I also have a BIG question mark over the following (though it would no doubt meet with your full endorsement!) :

“The Faculty of Arts has provided support to three students to attend the United Nations Copenhagen Climate Conference as Australian Youth Delegates.”
http://sydney.edu.au/news/arts/2228.html?newsstoryid=5728
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 8 June 2012 12:10:20 PM
Oh, it's only the Student Representative Council, the Postgraduate Representative Association and the Faculty of Arts that you have problems with. I see now the special funding of the pro-life group was necessary to counter these inhuman monsters.

I guess it was all too much for the poor Catholics Society and the other dozen or so.

YAY for academic freedom eh?
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 8 June 2012 12:59:17 PM
“Our universities are so determined to impose tolerance that they'll expel you for saying what you think and never notice the irony”.

It is indeed ironic. Here is the Amazon link to the ‘Expelled’ DVD which deals with this very subject of academic freedom (or lack of it) on University campuses and other institutions, focussing on the scientific/philosophical domain. Academic freedom is guaranteed, so long as you are found on the ‘correct’ side of the fence.

This documentary caused quite a stir in America. You can see that just by the reaction here on the Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.com/Expelled-Intelligence-Allowed-Ben-Stein/dp/B001BYLFFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1339126131&sr=1-1
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Friday, 8 June 2012 2:13:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy