The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The human face of ASIO's secret trials > Comments

The human face of ASIO's secret trials : Comments

By Sophie Trevitt, published 4/6/2012

Ranjini could spend the rest of her life in detention if her High Court case is unsuccessful.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Sorry Marilyn, How do you get that I am lying....I did not mention the late 70's and 80's, I was talking about the late 80's and the early 90's.

I recall standing on the bridge of HMAS ...when we encountered SIEV IX (that would be 'Suspected Illegal Entry Vessel number 9), perhaps you were onboard, although I don't recall frontline females in the navy at the time.

After tracking for approximately 2 days, we 'closed' the vessel, it was obvious it was going to take 4 days to reach Australia. As soon as we became visual it started to sink, further investigation revealed the 'crew' had opened both sea-cocks, small things that kept this Indonesian vessel afloat, never mind it was chronically overloaded, 70-80 people onboard. After a mild panic and response, everone was saved and no lives were lost. I don't recall you being there to lend assistance.

I recall numerous ventures to Ashmore Reef, Rowley Shoals and Scott Reef, to "rescue" these people, including one incident that we were late to attend, whereby the passengers, all Pakistani and Indian's were attempting to make landfall in the Buccaneer Archepelago in shirt, tie, slacks, dress shoes and in some instances jackets" remarkably the only thing in their suitcases were hundreds of thousands of Australian dollars (in cash) that was given in evidence to the Federal Police in Broome once we deposited them on the wharf on our arrival followng their arrest.

As to no "refugee boats" arrived in the 70's and 80's, well I have a good memory regarding the guys whom I worked with who claimed that it was not unusual to "run over" a boat or two with Vietnamese refugees in the 70's and 80's and I know for a fact that our RAN Patrol Boats also ran them over during the 'night watch' because they often ran no lights....I even recall doing this once, although only a lonley Indon fishing boat, it still sends shivers down my spine.

Lying, no of course not, I remember you being there and doing so much to help, get a grip!
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Tuesday, 5 June 2012 12:58:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy