The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beware of conservatives > Comments

Beware of conservatives : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 25/5/2012

As Conservatism is a disposition not an ideology, Conservatives end up standing for nothing predictable.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
imajulianutter:
<you're obviously a moron and you are wrong>

I think that's unnecessary. And you're making the same kind of groundless assertion David criticised Runner for: "you are wrong". You forgot to say "in my opinion". Everything's relative, as David's position suggests. To me 'your' opinions are often moronic. All our opinions are based on values systems and none of us is in a position to make absolute statements--except perhaps conservatives.
Posted by Squeers, Monday, 28 May 2012 3:32:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Squeers,

it is undoubtably an example of stupid to call someone homophobic simply because they disagree with your opinion.

or it shows a lack of good judgement when obviously you've not got the brains to debate contrary opinions ... in my opinion.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 28 May 2012 5:32:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Squeers

And if you care to watch a replay of that QandA you'll see I am not wrong.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 28 May 2012 5:34:32 PM
imajulianutter
'you're obviously a moron and you are wrong.' At least you have enough brains to realise that absolutes exist. Your insults however show your lack of ability to state your case.
Posted by runner, Monday, 28 May 2012 5:54:02 PM
Runner wrote: Oh I see Davidf you can not accept that an absolute statement such as adultery is wrong can be stated. To you that is only an opinion I take it. Yea I know I am a bigot because I call adultery and fornicatipon wrong.

Dear runner, Some absolute statements are valid. They are tautologies or definitions such as: Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nanometers.

You are deciding what is right and wrong for others. At 86 my fornicatory activities are minimal, but my life has been enriched by such activities in the glorious past. I also see nothing wrong if both parties are not satisfied in a marital relationship that one person accepts that the other person may seek satisfaction elsewhere. Masturbation is also a pleasure which can be enjoyed alone or with suitable companions.

The definition of adultery varies from time to time and place to place. In Australia at the present time adultery occurs if people have sex and one of them is married to someone else. In the Bible, a book that you seem to set great store by, Abraham is married to Sarah and has sex with Hagar. He is not condemned for that. There is no reason he should be since that was not considered wrong in that time and place. Sexual morality is ever-changing.

In Saudi Arabia at this time a man may legally be married to more than one woman. In Tibet in earlier times a woman could be legally married to more than one man simultaneously.

Your statement about adultery and fornication being wrong is only your opinion, and you have apparently decided that your opinion is one that other people should follow. I see no reason that other people should accept your opinion. Whether or not that is bigotry is moot, but it is arrogant to decide what is right and wrong for others. No one need base their definition of right and wrong on your views.

Cruelty, bigotry, unkindness. NO! Lusty, joyous, erotic, orgasmic sex! Whoopee! YES! YES! YES!
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 29 May 2012 8:24:17 AM
>>You are 'homophobic' imajulianutter but you are right.<<

>>it is undoubtably an example of stupid to call someone homophobic simply because they disagree with your opinion<<

Have I missed something here? I thought runner was calling you homophobic simply because he agreed with your opinion. At least that's the meaning I took from the phrase 'you are right'.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Tuesday, 29 May 2012 10:04:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy