The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > After a long battle with cancer > Comments

After a long battle with cancer : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 2/4/2012

We no longer face death as the inevitable final stage of life and 'rage, against the dying of the light'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Some would say a life well lived is one lived without regrets. But, we all will have regrets, and the only thing to do is to get over them and past them, in life - while we have the chance.

There is a trick of course - to recognize those things we can do nothing about. There is little point in railing against the light, as there is also in railing against the dark - the ultimate dark.

We are what we are, and will be judged by what we leave behind, our legacy, good or bad, lasting or fleeting, memorable or infamous - in whatever large or small measure.

To trust in God is a cop-out, a cop-out from taking direct responsibility for this life, for what we can and cannot do to leave the world as good, or better, than we found it - the ultimate failure being to leave repair and restoration to others - and the ultimate self-deceit is to pursue ego, to raise a large family in spite of the destructive addition this would make to a struggling planet. But, we are the masters of rationalization and blame-shifting, of mind over matter - I don't mind, and you don't matter.

The problem with euthanasia is that a willingness to suicide is akin to a willingness to murder - but then history shows that humans do have an acceptance of both. The trick may be to do what we need to, have affairs in order, and then just let nature take its course - but, so many worry most about depleting their financial legacy by lingering too long, or worst of all by extravagance on 'questionable' therapies. This is a world driven by finance after all - at the expense of virtue - and of relegating care for the dying to others.

A good life is tolerant, understanding and thoughtful, of all, rather than of self. Jesus tried, and regretted leaving much undone, much for others. To see Him one will have to honour His teachings in this life - believe it, or not.
Posted by Saltpetre, Monday, 2 April 2012 1:44:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anyone who thinks he or she will escape judgement by their Creator and a Holy God is a fool. Sellick of all people should know that Jesus Christ took sin upon Himself so that wretches could receive eternal life. If he fails to acknowledge that truth he should not bear the name Christian. The power of the grave has been defeated by the One who could not be held by it. The thousands who have willingly gone to the grave holding this truth are not mocked by unbelieving theologians who have not a clue.
Posted by runner, Monday, 2 April 2012 2:31:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*and it places a burden on the medical profession when there is an expectation that they can give a fatal dose. Frankly, I don't think its worth the candle*

Not really Sells, for the devil is in the details and it is for very
good reasons that I specifically referred to the Swiss laws and the
Exit Switzerland system. In that system, the doctor is consulted,
but is not involved in the final decision of the patient to take their
own life.

To me all this is about being able to understand another's perspective,
which we are commonly not very good at and its about compassion, which
many Christians claim to have.

There are patients who fall through the cracks. Patients for instance,
where an active mind is trapped in what is virtually a dead body.
Think of the Rossiter case in Perth and a number of others. Personally
I have huge empathy with these people. They will spend their time
until death, staring at the ceiling, unable to move a muscle.
Our laws gave Mr Rossiter one choice, starve to death. Luckily he
was eventually taken by pneumonia, to relieve him of his misery.

I've seen people die of cancer over a long period. When its getting
to stage 3 and 4, some have simply had enough. Why torture them
against their will? IMHO that is hardly compassionate and if I was
in those sorts of positions, I would want a choice about my life.

Salpetre, if nature takes its course means huge suffering from
the perspective of the sufferer, why should they not have a choice
about their own life? Unless of course you think that suicide should
be illegal and it is not. Most of these patients are simply in a
position where they can no longer help themselves
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 2 April 2012 2:46:42 PM
Dear runner,

You are entitled to believe in any superstition you wish. You can also think that other people should share your superstition. However, there is no reason that other people have to share your gullibility.

The power of the grave is absolute. Death is final no matter what superstition one holds.

It is the end, and that's that. Live while you are alive, be kind and question.
Posted by david f, Monday, 2 April 2012 3:48:17 PM
Sorry, Peter, I must have missed something. Explain to me again how the execution of a carpenter 2000 years ago has any bearing whatsoever on whether I can die happy or not.

"Death has lost its dominion over us."

According to the Bureau of Statistics there were 143,500 deaths registered in Australia in 2010. That's an awful lot of people who didn't get your memo.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 2 April 2012 3:55:52 PM
Davidf

You are entitled to choose unbelief should you wish. You can also think that other people should share your unbelief. However, there is no reason that other people have to share your gullibility.
Posted by runner, Monday, 2 April 2012 4:22:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy