The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Huawei and the NBN: Good reason to draw the line > Comments

Huawei and the NBN: Good reason to draw the line : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 28/3/2012

There are solid political and security reasons to support the U.S. against mercantile and authoritarian China.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It's a bit scary to think just how much Obama's girl is our Julia.
Not content to merely insult the Chinese, she has also invited US Marines into Darwin, US warships into our various harbors and tops it off with drones on the Cocos.
But would Tony have done it differently?
Of course not!
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 28 March 2012 12:54:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We often punch well above our weight in almost any area of scientific endeavour; and consequently, are often a target for commercial/corporate espionage?
One of the areas of principle concern, is the so-called trap doors that can be covertly built into any fibre network or electronic highway.
We have every right as a sovereign nation to determine and implement and protect our own perceived security interests!
Of course the Chinese govt owned telco is going to assure all and sundry; that there are no security risks in employing them or their current technology.
They even employ clean skin Australians to convey that message.
Essentially, one can agree with much of the article; given it is not a reflection on China, or Chinese people per se; but rather; on an entirely opaque administration, which is currently engaged on quite massive military build up; and reprehensible suppression of any internal opposition; but particularly that emanating from the annexed territories? Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 28 March 2012 3:18:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for replying Chris

My reference to your possible religiosity came from your author description which included:

'He is currently a Visiting Fellow at the Public Policy Institute (based in Canberra) at the Australian Catholic University.' But I accept I was mistaken. Sorry.

I may have been wrong in equating the Australian Catholic University with the National Civic Council's rightwing-conservative News Weekly which I used to write for. News Weekly included one or two Cold Warriors who fought communists in the Cold War and still do in their hearts.

The lead-ins added by a chief editor to my News Weekly articles (without my permission) were very much anti-communist in aim. This correlated with anti-mainland Chinese. Amusingly enough Tony Abbott earlier wrote for the same magazine, though that is no recommendation :)

I see you have not criticised what I said about other foreign communications companies (also with former sigint staff connections) being as capable as Huawei in 'bugging' Australian.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 28 March 2012 4:03:12 PM
plantagenet,

I recognise the point you, and others, make.

China would not be alone in its bahviour, or its links with intelligence organisations.

I think the NBN and china is one of those issues were there is no win-win situation as political and strategic decisons mean that hard decsions must be made, as done by Asio. This is recognised by some from both sides of politics, although both sides also have members that disagree.

Unfortunately, my knowledge about China makes me wary of accpting more of the same. I think arguments that China is the future and we should not annoy them wears a bit thin given recent events, as i have tried to indicate.

I think we all need to recognise that taking a stand, where it is warranted, should override material considerations.

I wish i was more optimistic about the rise of China, but i am not in its present authoritarian state
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 28 March 2012 4:24:38 PM
There are boogies here that think because China is buying iron ore etc, they are beyond being cautious about.
China are only here because we have what they want. Other than that they would not give a damn.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 28 March 2012 5:02:24 PM
@Rhostry
...an entirely opaque administration, which is currently engaged on quite massive military build up; and reprehensible suppression of any internal opposition...
And this is different from what the Americans are doing exactly how?
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 28 March 2012 8:28:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy