The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why the role of our Head of State is important > Comments

Why the role of our Head of State is important : Comments

By Lisa Singh, published 14/2/2012

It is only the republics of the world that have the political institutions with which to etch out national values and a national identity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
I suppose you do not like speed cams; either.
With out rules we would be like America, and who wants that.
The only thing that has come from Heaven is rain.
Bring on a republic.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 18 February 2012 12:10:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

"I suppose you do not like speed cams; either."

Actually indeed, but we are not discussing personal tastes at this time.

Speed cameras can be defended on the grounds that they, presumably at least, save the lives of others, that fast drivers are more likely to hit other, innocent, people.

No such defense exists for bicycle helmets.

"With out rules we would be like America, and who wants that."

You must be joking - America has so many more rules than Australia (this is part of what makes it a failure and a bad place).
Are you aware that the U.S.A has the highest proportion of citizens in its jails - even higher than China? - that cannot be the result of having no rules...!

"The only thing that has come from Heaven is rain."

This is not the time and place to enter a theological discussion:
you may believe that our rights come from our mother's womb, or from the trees, or from evolution, or from the DNA, or from the elements, etc. etc. - suffice that they don't come from the state and its government.

The government is not the giver of rights - they are the ones who take our rights away... and then they ask us to thank them for leaving us with something, for not taking everything...

"Bring on a republic."

Yawn. The article claims that this is important - I say it is the least. With all the evils we are having, with all the abuse of our freedoms by the state, that's a very minor issue.

But since you mentioned it, all I can say is that it's not worth our tax-payer money to pay for all that pomp, but you know what? here's a deal:

You and your friends raise the funds to pay for your proposal. Support the expense of having an Australian head-of-state yourselves, prove with your pockets (not mine) that it is indeed so important for you. If you do so, I will lift my objection and you can have the republic you want.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 18 February 2012 10:35:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
numbers not a name quote..""The only thing that has come from Heaven is rain.""

wondering what the underlying....reasoning is
if we are talking materially...what about that huge yellow sun
[you know..sustaining all easy discernable life]

or space dust..you know tons of it each day

but likely you mean spiritual
and there you have no idea
so i will leave you

in your blissfilled state of ignorance
its funny {said}..[the inner voice said
how the most simple..can believe that..the most clever
[in their own eye]..

in ignorances utter..then ignorantly murmmer back..
the mantra's of the sainted [in their own eyes]..
the bleatings..of the science..atheoist's..
not just decrying..this worlds fact
but so too the unseen realm's
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 19 February 2012 8:15:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy