The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > War in Afghanistan: Sacrifices in vain? > Comments

War in Afghanistan: Sacrifices in vain? : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 6/2/2012

Have taxpayers contributions to the war on terrorism been well spent?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Yes Kellie, the war in Afghanistan was to Australia's benefit and it is a pity that we are pulling out.

Anyone familiar with soldiers know that they like nothing better than a "nice" little war where they can use the training that they have taken years to aquire and put it to the test. Afghanistan fitted that bill nicely. Even soldiers from limp wristed societies like the Canada, Denmark and Holland sent contingents of professional soldiers.

The deutchies were ectstatic. it was the first chance they had in years to do a bit of real soldiering and they were happilly polishing up their panzers. You know the Germans. A few tanks and MG 42's and they want to take on the world.

Casualties were trifling, and everybody was having a great time killing off the most detested vermin in the entire world. Unfortunately, we in the west were not told how many Muslims nut jobs we were exterminating, lest we offend the Muslims living in our countries who's sympathies are with the enemy. But we must have been killing them 10 to 1.

A nice little war is essential for training soldiers. And Australia and many other countries now has a pool of combat trained soldiers who know the ropes and who will be absolutely essential in the event of a more serious war.

Of course, the entire war could have been avoided if the western nations had been smart enough to keep Muslims right out of their countries. Letting your enemies cross your moat and take up residence in your keep is a dumb thing to do. But to the Kellie's of this world, everybody is equal. As President Kennedy said "we all breath the same air, and we all wants what is best for our children."

I used to believe that once, but the photograph of Palestinians dressing their children as suicide bombers convinced me that I was wrong.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 7 February 2012 4:01:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LEGO, you are a fool.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Tuesday, 7 February 2012 4:05:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LEGO I disagree with almost all Monty Pythonesque randomness.

But I agree that as this is a voluntary war professional soldiers, airman and sailors wish to participate:

- to prove themselves to their mates

- for higher veteran's benefits

- for promotion

- to not attend the war would raise questions regarding their serious professionalism

- for a relatively new reason in Australia's military history, high pay.

I'd say military men who say they are there out of patriotism and counter-terrorism are voicing the official Government Policy Line for the camera.

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 7 February 2012 6:41:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy