The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fast paced plot deserves measured considered read > Comments

Fast paced plot deserves measured considered read : Comments

By Yvonne Perkins, published 24/1/2012

Hard-boiled detective straddles and denies ethnic and other cliches.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Thanks for your comments Elizabeth. I agree that there is a lot that we can learn from Newton about writing. In a book review it is necessary to give people labels such as 'Vietnamese', 'Australian' which can make the book look like it draws on stereotypes. In real life people are complex beings who don't conform to the simplicity of stereotypes. Newton's characters had the complexity and flaws that made them believable and the story compelling.
Posted by Perkinsy, Thursday, 26 January 2012 8:29:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Crasby:

You are a "soft touch" on the subject of Multiculturalism, and I consider your "divorced" thinking highlights a real problem to sensible discussion . IMO.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 26 January 2012 11:06:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yvonne,

Thank you for your interesting article. I'm always interested in Australian fiction and your comments have led me to put the book on my "To Read" list. I agree particularly with your point that the "page-turner" type of narrative is not essential for the reader to be absorbed in the text. Story is far more than plot. Welcome to the Slow Reading Club!

It's a pity that this forum was disrupted by someone trying to hi-jack it to pursue their own irrelevant agenda. I hope we can now just leave that aside.
Posted by crabsy, Friday, 27 January 2012 10:16:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Crabsy:

...I consider your remarks disrespectful. Graham Young is correct to imply that this particular article is related to an appraisal of a book. I agree with him. Unfortunately, the subject “spilling” into a broader context has generated some heat. Interestingly though, the debate on the controversial “White Australia” Policy, (More correctly: The Immigration Restriction Act of 1901) still divides Historians (And Australians). The original act was in place to prevent undesirable immigrants from “sullying” Australian communities, by keeping out of Australia, criminal elements, and interestingly, contract labourers. (A fight to protect jobs from cheap imported Chinese labour).

...The subject, the period and the ethnicity of the main character of the novel, involve closely the time in Australian history, of the repeal of the said act by Golf Whitlam. My initial comment left no doubt (since a history of crime amongst Vietnamese at that time, backed up with statistical fact, proves the point, Australia was a much, much more law abiding Country before their arrival as an ethnic group, than it since has been.

...This historical point is highly relevant to the novel critiqued on this page. I would appreciate your withholding further insulting comment directed at the person, me! And if YOU do that, then I will have no further need to respond on this page!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 27 January 2012 6:51:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy