The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Support for free trade should never be unconditional > Comments

Support for free trade should never be unconditional : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 16/1/2012

Why should Australia go it alone on free trade?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Ian Fletcher (author of Free Trade Doesn't Work) illustrates the mindless snobbish groupthink of unbalanced/free trade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chc-F1BOQwI
Posted by mralstoner, Tuesday, 17 January 2012 9:12:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mralstoner

So do you think all free trade should be abolished, i.e. no-one should be free to exchange anything with anyone, with all decisions on what to exchange being made by some central coercive authority?

If not, then obviously you are partly in favour of free trade. Why don't you explain the conditions on which trade should be free? Why don't those same conditions apply to the trade that should not?
Posted by Peter Hume, Tuesday, 17 January 2012 7:14:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter Hume, why do you presume I have all the answers? Currently, lower prices is the only thing that free-trade values. But clearly such mindless freedom is now trashing other values. Free trade is currently set at the "suicidally paralysed" level. We are literally financing the expansion of China's military. That is insane. Complete lunacy. National security is a value that must not be usurped by the mindless pursuit of cheaper prices.

And there's other values that need to re-enter the picture. Do we all want to work down a mine? No. We value certain type of work, in a certain place i.e. not too far from our families and not down a stinky mine. And we need to retain manufacturing skills in the country.

I don't have all the answers, but we need to pull these other values back into the picture. So I'd say we do need some form of protectionism. Off the top of my head, I say that whatever someone wants to produce locally that is not ridiculously overpriced, ought to be protected by a tariff. If it costs us a bit more to do that, so be it. And whatever we can't produce here, import it.
Posted by mralstoner, Tuesday, 17 January 2012 10:03:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy