The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine - flag flies, UNESCO cries, legality dies > Comments

Palestine - flag flies, UNESCO cries, legality dies : Comments

By David Singer, published 9/1/2012

UNESCO's decision to admit Palestine as a member has consequences for UNESCO.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
And of course LEGO and Singer would not be talking about the terrorists in IDF army uniform,or the Lebanon Christians who under Sharon murdered Palestinians in the refuge camps in Lebanon.
Or the Israeli settler terrorists who murder Palestinian farmers tending their land,the only terrorists in Lego and Singers world are Palestinian not the semi fascist Israeli state sponsored kind
Posted by John Ryan, Monday, 9 January 2012 5:07:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry folks I'm not sure what the big deal is.

As with any Singer article the truth is always found in its omissions. Nothing different here.

The US regularly picks up its bat and ball and either threatens to leave UNESCO or actually departs for extended periods. It completely withdrew both its contributions and membership from 1984 to 2003, that is a period of nearly two whole decades.

Plus it has form threatening the body to protect Israel's interests. In 1974 UNESCO actually tossed Israel out on its ear. It held its ground until in 1977 the US threatened to withhold $40 million in funds.

One can only hope they stick to their guns this time. Please let justice hold, there is so little of it on display right now for the Palestinian people.
Posted by csteele, Monday, 9 January 2012 7:26:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
csteele,

so many posts on olo with so little humour.

I loved your post and had a real belly laugh.

your humour must be a great companion
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 9 January 2012 7:33:49 PM
Dear oh dear David Singer,

Further omissions.

You are going to have to explain to me why on earth you think a two thirds majority wasn't achieved in the UNESCO vote to include Palestine into its membership. The results were;

107 in favour.
14 against (including Australia I am ashamed to say)

I make a 107 to 14 result well above the two thirds majority required.

Oh I see, you want to include the abstentions? Well yes there were 52 of those. What? You want them tacked on the negative sided? Can't be done old boy, suggest you see a lawyer on that one (Had wondered why you didn't give the breakdown in your original article).

You might get away with it if the Articles II (2), (3) had called for an 'absolute two thirds majority', since that would require a two thirds majority of all members, not just those who voted, but they don't so you don't.
http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=15244&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

This is not a 'clear breach' of anything and the 'strange silence' you claim to have “descended over UNESCO since I first raised the question” I would wager could be one of embarrassment;

'Yes Ms Bokova, he is actually a lawyer as he claims, apparently got his degree at an Australian University'.

Please don't embarrass us any further David, the shame of having my country vote against this is a difficult enough burden.

Dear imajulianutter,

Thank you I think.

“your humour must be a great companion”

Well he does do most of the drinking.
Posted by csteele, Monday, 9 January 2012 10:14:02 PM
Hi Juliannthenutter (singularly appropriate name), you bad speller, I suppose that you are a paragon of virtue who never violates your own moral code for a bit of self interest, now and again?

You are so morally pure, that whenever I read one of your posts, I visualise you standing in front of a pulpit with a chorus of singing angels behind you. There was once a time when educated people laughed at the morally pure. But today's crop of educated elites all want to be moral puritans themselves.

The yanks are violating their own moral codes because some religious nutters from the Middle east flew four aeroplanes into buildings and killed 3000 innocent men, women and children. Unlike you, the yanks are smart. The yanks can figure out that civilised rules of engagement do not apply when combatting suicide bombers who want to mass murder your civilian population to make a political point.

The terrorists who committted that atrocity are Arabs and Muslims, who hate beer, bikinis, female equality, sexual liberation, and Israel. That is why I say we should all drink more piss, applaud the topless girls on Bondi Beach, burn our bras, screw ourselves silly, and support the Israelis.

Anyhoo, the yanks arn't really kicking the sheet out of captured terrorists, they are "outsourcing" by "rendering" the terrorists to countries where interogation techniques are more "traditional", and letting threm kick the sheet out of the scumbags.

Good on them. Give them another kick for me, boys.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 10 January 2012 3:44:39 AM
Well no, it is time the shills for Israel in the US shut up and let the Palestinians have their legal rights.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Tuesday, 10 January 2012 3:52:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy