The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'I matter!' - Kids against Climate Change. > Comments

'I matter!' - Kids against Climate Change. : Comments

By Michael Kile, published 30/12/2011

Children are being enlisted to be the advance guard of the climate crusade.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All
Um Amicus,

aide-mémoire; we should have nuclear power – if that makes me “Big Green”, so be it : )

Anton

>> Kids would find this website somewhat less exciting than Kenneth Branagh's four hour Hamlet. <<

Exquisite.

By the by, it helps around here not to take things too literally : )

Wonder of wonders, Anthony still can’t help himself.

Au plaisir de vous revoir
Posted by bonmot, Monday, 9 January 2012 5:26:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>By the by, it helps around here not to take things too literally : )<<

Unfortunately, I have trouble taking them otherwise (except when I'm reading fiction, when I willingly and gladly suspend my disbelief). I'm a very 'left-brain', analytical and logical thinker. I find communication is much easier when everyone just calls a spade a spade, and bugger all this poetical crap. No doubt such mental rigidity comes at the expense of valuable faculties such as creativity, but I am what I am.
Posted by Anton LaVey, Monday, 9 January 2012 6:25:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's another insidious warper of childrens' minds at work. fortunately, they are in Sandwich, New Hapshire USA, the Australian equivalent of Bushy Park, Tasmania. Nothing to fear, really.

But consider the consequences of subtly influencing these eager childrens' minds, as parents and teachers, uncles, aunties and older cousins and siblings have been doing for generations - - -

Mind Boggling!

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/01/no-maple-syrup-2100

"A few years ago, Martha Carlson, a veteran maple farmer, began noticing subtle changes in her 60-acre "sugar bush" in Sandwich, New Hampshire: Maple sap was unusually dark, and leaves were falling too early, never having reached postcard New England color. Her sugar maples, some of them nearly 300 years old, were sick.

At 65, Martha now leads the crusade to save the New Hampshire sugar maples—and the multimillion dollar local syrup and tourism industries they provide—from disastrous climate change. And in the process she's mobilizing a crack team of researchers: a group of elementary school kids."

Next thing you know, Martha will be cutting out kiddies' hearts and throwing their mortal coils down the temple stairs, Aztec-style. Fortunately, I expect most folks will believe she will have crossed the line at that point.

Maybe even Michael Kile would agree, despite his scholarly disinterest and implied proposal for the reintroduction of human sacrifice as a means of instigating Anthropogenic Global Cooling.

Michael K, are you watching the fun here? Cohenite has suggested I ask you whether your Quadrant artice is a hoax. Well, is it?
Posted by Sir Vivor, Tuesday, 10 January 2012 6:05:50 AM
For the aficianados, another bone to growl over, an answer to the conundrum: If the world's getting warmer, then why are North American winters getting colder?

In case anyone wonders, I deny that I am an AGW denialist.

Global Warming May Trigger Winter Cooling
by Sid Perkins on 12 January 2012, 7:01 PM | 2 Comments
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/01/global-warming-may-trigger-winte.html

"First, the strong warming in the Arctic in recent decades, among other factors, has triggered widespread melting of sea ice. More open water in the Arctic Ocean has led to more evaporation, which moisturizes the overlying atmosphere, the researchers say. Previous studies have linked warmer-than-average summer months to increased cloudiness over the ocean during the following autumn. That, in turn, triggers increased snow coverage in Siberia as winter approaches. As it turns out, the researchers found, snow cover in October has the largest effect on climate in subsequent months.

That's because widespread autumn snow cover in Siberia strengthens a semipermanent high-pressure system called, appropriately enough, the Siberian high, which reinforces a climate phenomenon called the Arctic Oscillation and steers frigid air southward to midlatitude regions throughout the winter."
Posted by Sir Vivor, Saturday, 14 January 2012 8:47:43 AM
Further to the preceding comments and Mr Kile's stimulus material, Mr Kile, I offer the followink timely link: entirely on-topic and a potential source of wonder to all.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/01/education-advocates-enter-the.html?ref=em&elq=c4502a03744d4dab99afbecf15c56867

shortened:
http://bit.ly/zPlhdu

Education Advocates Enter the Climate Tempest
by Sara Reardon on 17 January 2012, 11:42 AM (US EST)

"Is climate change education the new evolution, threatened in U.S. school districts and state education standards by well-organized interest groups? A growing number of education advocates believe so, and yesterday, the National Center for Science Education (NCSE) in Oakland, California, which fights the teaching of creationism, announced that it's going to take on climate change denial as well.

"It's not like we're bored," says NCSE Director Eugenie Scott: Five state bills that would allow teaching intelligent design in schools have already surfaced in 2012. But after hearing an increasing number of anecdotes about K-12 teachers being challenged about how they taught climate science to their students, she says she began to see "parallels" between the two debates --namely, an ideological drive from pressure groups to "teach the controversy" where no scientific controversy exists. To get expertise in this area, NCSE hired climate and environmental education expert Mark McCaffrey as its new climate coordinator and appointed Pacific Institute hydroclimatologist Peter Gleick to its board of directors.

"There's a climate of confusion in this country around climate science," says McCaffrey, and NCSE's goal will be to ensure that "teachers have the tools they need if they get pushback and feel intimidated."
Posted by Sir Vivor, Wednesday, 18 January 2012 3:30:49 PM
As usual survivor you have things arse-up; it is climate change 'education' which is the new creationism.
Posted by cohenite, Wednesday, 18 January 2012 4:14:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy