The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nuclear power and the fuel cycle > Comments

Nuclear power and the fuel cycle : Comments

By Tom Quirk, published 8/12/2011

Why nuclear will ultimately make most sense.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Whales, especially killer whales, probably like feasting on Black Ducks, but even so I have always found the arguments proposed in the book The Whale and the Reactor by Langdon Winner to be quire persuasive.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Thursday, 8 December 2011 3:03:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For every tonne of enriched UF6 produced, Australia will have to keep 9 tonnes of Depleted UF6 (dUF6). This waste is far too reactive to bash and bury.

Here is but a part of the US stockpile. The cylinders are 12' x 4' x 1cm thick and must be prevented from corroding:

http://web.ead.anl.gov/uranium/guide/prodhand/sld042.cfm

http://web.ead.anl.gov/uranium/mgmtuses/storage/index.cfm

This stockpile dates back to the 1940s, because no satisfactory method exists for it's proper disposal. If we try, we discover that the energy requirements exceed the "spare" energy generated by nuclear for domestic distribution.

In fact, nuclear is a nett energy loser and turns out to be just another sink in which to pour what's left of our shrinking liquid hydrocarbon fuel supplies.

Tom, you and the other members of the IPA are on the short list for the maintenance crew to inspect and repaint the cylinders every weekend of your natural lives. Your children and grandchildren will be required for this task also.

Get yer overalls ready.....
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Friday, 9 December 2011 8:02:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464

Chris - you realise the photographs you link to destroys your own arguement? The storage facility you show is actually quite small - maybe the equivalent of two warehouses, without the expense of enclosure. So we don't require much space at all? Great. Ausralia has a large supply of waste land in out of the way places.

The bit about no solution being found for disposal is quite wrong, incidentally. There are solutions. Its just easier and cheaper to store them the way you show. The actual amount of radiation poses no undue hazard, although you probably wouldn't want to spend your holidays there.

It you who should be given a job as a guard there to warn people away. After all you have done great service in showing us how little storage space is required
Posted by Curmudgeon, Friday, 9 December 2011 10:03:07 AM
Nuclear has it's problems with waste, Sm says solar doesn't work at night, try putting a fluorescent light or a street light over it and say that. It 's a matter of which way you want to go. Households and small business do not have to pay power bills any more, it's your choice.
Posted by 579, Friday, 9 December 2011 10:59:39 AM
Ah Curmudgeon

Maybe your estimation is a deliberate snow job to spoil the argument... I dunno.

Quote from the website to which I sent you:

"7,142 cylinders of DUF6 weighs as much as a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. The entire inventory of 57,634 cylinders weighs more than all eight of the Navy's Nimitz-class aircraft carriers combined!"

Those cylinders are 12 foot x 4 foot as I clearly stated.

The contents must NEVER be allowed to spread into the surrounding air and water. There is nothing like UF6 in nature.

Look mate.... I used to work in the mineral processing industry and I sometimes think that talking to lay people is like talking to an old gum-boot.

....which is why I don't come here so much any more.... adieu!
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Friday, 9 December 2011 12:21:09 PM
Unclear power is not safe....it will never be safe.....and with a planet being always on the move.....just ask Japan......its a quick fix and everyone knows it.

Listen to these links....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT9i6Y2CQHs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQaKeXZYRJk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rb0bMISOWQ

Now! after you lot wake up to the fact unclear power is just No good, then your grand-children just might not spit on your graves.

CACTUS
Posted by Cactus..2, Friday, 9 December 2011 2:27:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy