The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The windmills in our minds > Comments

The windmills in our minds : Comments

By Max Rheese, published 25/11/2011

It is not just species of birds who are threatened by wind farms.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
It is distressing that we can get public policy so wrong, so much of the time and then take so long to fix it.

Max, you references do not justify your conclusion.

Prince Phillip: he thinks we are unlikely to be able to store power. That is all.
Moller and Pederson: big turbines shift the noise about a major third down. That is hardly significant. If it were a couple of octaves, it might be.
Simon Chapman: he raises legitimate objections to Nina Pierpont's self-published book--amongst others, that it hasn't been given blind reviews.
Daniel Shepherd: told a court that people get annoyed by turbines, and the annoyance causes stress. Extraordinary.
The Senate Committee: asks for a study. That is all.
Posted by ozbib, Saturday, 26 November 2011 5:33:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

I feel for you... by all accounts, tinnitus is a bitch. A white noise generator generates white noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise

My Dad built his from a kit - I'm not sure whether the kit was ordered online or purchased somewhere like Dick Smith's. Although according to that link I just posted, a radio tuned to static does the same job for less money and effort.
Posted by The Acolyte Rizla, Sunday, 27 November 2011 1:01:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for that TAR, Im must be virtually doing that now, i sleep with a speaker under my pillow, slightly off station. Some small rural towns are funding their own wind turbines, and sharing the proceeds.
Posted by 579, Sunday, 27 November 2011 11:21:03 AM
The contribution underlines the importance of the conclusions from the Federal Senate enquiry that scientific study is required into the health effects of wind farms. This should have some urgency as the 'disease' is spreading rapidly.
I have a hope, naive I know, that there would also be an independent engineering enquiry into the environmental and cost claims made by wind proponents. There has been enough time with wind farms connected to electrical power grids in Eastern Australia to allow a detailed look at real measured data from grid operators. Studies [e.g. Bentik looking at Colorado and Texan grids, Udo looking at the Irish grid] overseas suggest that balancing needs in the grids to avoid excessive frequency and voltage deviations, due to wind power fluctuations, minimise greenhouse gas emission savings and increase operating costs. The governments involved in supporting this technology have a responsibility to us to ensure that the aims and claims are met.
Posted by Auld Jim, Sunday, 4 December 2011 7:23:54 AM
Max, you need to do some more research. Many of the 'peer reviewed articles' connecting wind turbines to ill health that you mentioned were published in The Bulletin of Science and Technology. This dodgy journal has been researched by Professor Simon Chapman and Dr Ken Clarke and found to be of very questionable standing (see http://ramblingsdc.net/Australia/WindHealth.html#Bulletin_of_Science_Technology_and_Society).

No scientific journals of any standing have ever published any papers definitely linking wind turbines with illness.

If you, like me, looked into the facts at any length, you would understand that turbines are incapable of causing illness. (Yes, some people who live near turbines have become ill, but the evidence points to anxiety and unjustified fear being the cause, not the turbines.)
Posted by Dave Clarke, Sunday, 4 December 2011 6:32:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy