The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Climate refugees > Comments

Climate refugees : Comments

By Mike Pope, published 15/11/2011

It's not if but when climate change refugees arrive, so we need to decide how to deal with them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Runner should be able to tell us if there is any truth in that subject. Some islands are in trouble now. It is not only ice melt, it is the increase in tide levels, which magnify the sea levels. If the sea level has risen 5 cm, the tidal wash, level will have covered many more acres.
It is as if storm surges were present without the storm.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 15 November 2011 1:31:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't sea levels risen by a massive two inches* over the last sixty years ? Around the world's coastlines, that's a fair bit of land swallowed up by the waves, perhaps a couple of feet inland, maybe thousands of square kilometres in all, so how many people have had to flee to higher ground as the sea swept in on them, over that time ?

On the premises that (a) nobody anywhere will do anything, and (b) the exponential rate of increase in sea-level rise is incredibly high, two inches in the last sixty years but a couple of feet in the next sixty years, is it possible that - before those of us living in that two-feet zone are drowned - we gradually move everything up two feet ? Maybe fifty or sixty feet further inland ? A foot a year ?

Of course, if governments do something over the next forty or fifty years, like switch to renewables, then maybe we can hold back the Flood, and keep it down to only one vertical foot or less, or thirty horizontal feet inland instead of sixty feet. This would probably save millions of lives, of all of those people living in that upper thirty-feet zone, over the next sixty years, as the raging sea sweeps in on them unawares, at half a foot per year.

Joe

* Sorry, I'm an old person, I find it hard to convert proper measurement into metric. As well, I find it hard to go along with too much bullsh!t, life's too short.
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 15 November 2011 2:03:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suggest you read John J's link. If the 'science'can change so quickly you can be pretty comfortable in the knowledge that it is fraudulent. Scientist like you and me have an adamic nature to you know
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 15 November 2011 2:18:45 PM
Many people forfeited their Education to too many Joints eg; they can't identify Science Fiction even when they write it themselves.
Posted by Garum Masala, Tuesday, 15 November 2011 2:36:34 PM
Agnostic of Mittagong

while I admire your efforts to keep this scare story going the figures you cite are basically meaningless - I'm not saying that they trivial, I'm saying they mean nothing to most readers. In any case, I have seen quite a few, different estimates of ice loss from those bodies you mentioned, and most of them have been contradictory.

But none of those estimates matter a jot, as I noted in the original post, if the losses from ice sheets are excessive they just aren't showing up in the real time figures on sea level heights. To repeat my reference in the earlier post, you can always look at the University of colorado satellite tracking service and see if you can detect any change in the rate of sea level change. Its been a steady 3.1 mm a year since the early 1990s, or basically very little.
http://sealevel.colorado.edu/
When the measured rate of increase goes above the straight line you see on the graph then we'll talk about scare stories. At the moment its below.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 15 November 2011 4:31:07 PM
So why do the people of, say low lying Bangladesh have to come here instead of Nepal, or Mongolia?
Send them to higher ground on their own continent.
Oh but wait, the Mongolians and Nepalese wouldn't like that, they'd drive the "refugees" straight back to where they came from.
The first post in this thread nailed the motivation behind the article and the whole refugee business model, racial replacement of White populations.
Newsflash Michael, it's illegal under international law to limit birthrates and replace one population with another, it's called genocide.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 15 November 2011 4:47:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy