The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Observing Remembrance Day: a personal reflection > Comments

Observing Remembrance Day: a personal reflection : Comments

By Scott MacInnes, published 11/11/2011

Heritage, war, family and traditions in the spirit of Poppy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
My tribute was published this morning on http://fayhelwig.com
Posted by Country girl, Friday, 11 November 2011 8:00:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lest we forget.
Posted by The Acolyte Rizla, Friday, 11 November 2011 3:06:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On Friday morning I attended the short service at the memorial in our local town park.I felt it was significant because it will be another 1000 years before another 11-11-11 comes around.

It was quite a moving ceremony but what struck me was that only about 10% of the gathering were wearing poppies. I asked one bloke where he obtained his poppy and he said some blokes from the National Service Association were selling them the day before in the main street.

After the service I went to a local shopping centre and walked the length of the main street and saw no one wearing a poppy. I finally obtained one from a branch of Westpac bank who had them for sale on the counter. Apparently the only sale outlet in town that day.

The point of this is that, in the past, High school poppy sellers used to cover the main street on Rememberance Day to raise money for Legacy. These young people used to home in on anyone not wearing a poppy. Many shop owners would buy enough for all staff.

Was this just a slip up this year or do Legacy no longer require funds? I certainly hope this is not another tradition that we have lost. That would be sad.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 12 November 2011 11:49:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rememberance day eh?

All I see is the glorification of war, and the use of this day for justifying our 'yet another war' of totally wasted effort in Afghanistan.

I 'remember' 11/11.

The day of the Ned Kelly hanging and the sacking of Whitlam.

Time to 'forget' remembering and start changing maybe?

After all, we no longer feel any need to remember Trafalgar or other equally momentous wars do we?

Why not recall the 100 Years War, or the Thiry Years War?

That way we can ponder how the scourge of religion has wasted so many lives over the ages.

Why not 'remember' the next war, before it happens, and use this process as a chance to workshop (don't you hate that silly phrase?) even more dangerous and terrible war scenes, in order to avoid them next time around.

This day, and ANZAC Day too, are days where self-important politicians preen around and glorify war and 'sacrifice' but note how very few opf them bother to sacrifice themselves.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 14 November 2011 9:52:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy